Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Just got my iMac tonight....got it all set up and this thing is just incredible. I am coming from a 24" display and Mac Mini...in comparison this thing is huge screen wise...and I love the thinness..... As for the speed, I got the 3TB Fusion drive and this thing keeps up with my macbook air. I am very impressed, it is a huge upgrade from my 2.4 i5 dual core mac mini, even with 16gb ram. The only thing left to upgrade on this thing is is memory from 16 to 32, which will happen tomorrow when the crucial ram arrives.

Just wanted to really let you guys know that the fusion drive is for real. I paced for days debating spending the money on the SSD vs just getting the Fusion...but storage space won over speed, but now im getting the best of both worlds. No regrets going this route.

Last edited:

wrosie

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
California
I'm glad you're enjoying your beautiful new iMac. I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago, and I'm waiting very impatiently.

Dr FranknFurter

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Cambridge UK
Got mine on Wednesday last week but barely used it! Delivered right at the beginning of my shift week (14 hours a day out of the house) so looking forward to tomorrow when I'll have a few days play time:D

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Just got my iMac tonight....got it all set up and this thing is just incredible. I am coming from a 24" display and Mac Mini...in comparison this thing is huge screen wise...and I love the thinness....allows me to utilize more space on my desk by pushing it all the way back. As for the speed, I got the 3TB Fusion drive and this thing keeps up with my macbook air. I am very impressed, it is a huge upgrade from my 2.4 i5 dual core mac mini, even with 16gb ram. The only thing left to upgrade on this thing is is memory from 16 to 32, which will happen tomorrow when the crucial ram arrives.

Just wanted to really let you guys know that the fusion drive is for real. I paced for days debating spending the money on the SSD vs just getting the Fusion...but storage space won over speed, but now im getting the best of both worlds. No regrets going this route.
Thats awesome news, been sweating about 3TB fusion vs 768 flash all day today :(

Have you tested your LCD for IR?

mihai.ile

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
Wha? I didn't gain any more desk space over my previous iMac, since the stand takes up the same amount of relative space (and the hump in the middle...).

So what, the OP case is different than yours if you read the post...

msg362

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Thailand
Thats awesome news, been sweating about 3TB fusion vs 768 flash all day today :(

Have you tested your LCD for IR?
Had the 3TB and Fusion for about a month, use it for Premiere Pro editing, files are stored on the HD, getting read/write speeds in the 300 +. Don't seen any need for more- SSD/Thunderbolt. ( I store back ups on a 3 GB USB 3.0) Save yourself some money!

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Not seeing that.

In my case I had a Mac Mini and had to stick out the mac mini because the power cord sticks right out the back so even putting the mini underneath the monitor meant it couldn't go flush against the back. That power cord sticks out more than you think......(I also have a small hutch on the desk, which restricted it even further, but now with no power cord sticking out I can push the iMac all the way against the hutch without anything else sticking out in front saving me desk space. Hope that clears it up.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Just got my iMac tonight....got it all set up and this thing is just incredible. I am coming from a 24" display and Mac Mini...in comparison this thing is huge screen wise...and I love the thinness....allows me to utilize more space on my desk by pushing it all the way back. .

Huh? How so? The foot itself sticks out much further than the body giving it a total footprint about the same as the previous 27" and it should hardly be any different from the 24".

EDIT: Just saw your above post but it still doesn't make sense. The power cord still has to stick out the back of the iMac and how does the thinness play a part in this? See attached pic.

Attachments

• imac-profile.jpg
    imac-profile.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Huh? How so? The foot itself sticks out much further than the body giving it a total footprint about the same as the previous 27" and it should hardly be any different from the 24".

EDIT: Just saw your above post but it still doesn't make sense. The power cord still has to stick out the back of the iMac and how does the thinness play a part in this? See attached pic.

perhaps he doesn't have the cord running through the hole on the stand

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
perhaps he doesn't have the cord running through the hole on the stand

Perhaps but I'm trying to understand his OP when he says the "thinness" allows him to have more space on the desk by pushing the iMac all the way back. None of the iMacs require the user to run the cord through the hole.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
I have modified my post to take out the space saving I realized so that Macrumor heads do not explode, sorry for the confusion folks.

Aug 26, 2008
I have modified my post to take out the space saving I realized so that Macrumor heads do not explode, sorry for the confusion folks.

Haha, funny. But Henry does make a point. The stand hasn't changed, and that specific part is deeper than either last years or this years iMac.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Haha, funny. But Henry does make a point. The stand hasn't changed, and that specific part is deeper than either last years or this years iMac.

But going from a computer + monitor to an all-in-one should surely save some space, right?

It may not take up any less space than his previous monitor, but he also had to deal with the Mac Mini on his desk before.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Thank you! I'm not trying to give the OP a hard time but rather than saying that our heads are exploding for not understanding him he should just admit he made an error.
Here's a pic of the actual specs of the 24" Cinema Display directly from the manual and the new 27" iMac pic and specs taken from the website. Actually the Cinema display has a slightly shorter footprint. The Cinema displays and the iMacs have been the same depth due to the stand.

But going from a computer + monitor to an all-in-one should surely save some space, right?

It may not take up any less space than his previous monitor, but he also had to deal with the Mac Mini on his desk before.

The OP was talking about being able to push the iMac further against the wall of his desk because the iMac was thinner. Had nothing to do with the Mac mini. ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 10.34.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 10.34.36 AM.png
    217.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 10.36.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 10.36.00 AM.png
    43 KB · Views: 66

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Thank you! I'm not trying to give the OP a hard time but rather than saying that our heads are exploding for not understanding him he should just admit he made an error.
Here's a pic of the actual specs of the 24" Cinema Display directly from the manual and the new 27" iMac pic and specs taken from the website. Actually the Cinema display has a slightly shorter footprint. The Cinema displays and the iMacs have been the same depth due to the stand.

The OP was talking about being able to push the iMac further against the wall of his desk because the iMac was thinner. Had nothing to do with the Mac mini. ;)

It had nothing to do with the dimensions of the screen...in order to push the Mac Mini all the way back against the stand so I had some desk space in front of me, the whole setup had to come forward by the amount that the power cord sticks out from the back of the mac mini, not to mention any USB devices, now, without the Mac Mini I can push it flush against the back without worrying about a power cord (power cord from iMac goes through pass thru on desk that was not possible with mac mini because of a lip on the hutch). Screen monitor thickness has nothing to do with space saving.....

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012

haha yeah, you can't say that the thinness is actually a good thing around here. I am one of the minority that likes it and I learned quickly to keep my mouth shut. Macrumors is religious these days

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I also love how cool it stays

I was playing Batman Arkham City last night ( bought through Mac App store) on max graphics and all I felt was some warm air coming from the vent, the machine did feel warm at all.

Unlike my old 24inch ( early 2009) that got really hot playing games

So far I can say it's my best iMac ever

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.