Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAndrew07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
Porto, Portugal
Heres the thing, I have multiple email accounts configured on my Mac, recently I bought the MS Office 2011 suite since it came with Outlook and back when I had a Windows machine I used Outlook on a daily basis so I decided to give it a shot and try out, when I launched it imported me all of my Mail messages and accounts, except for the contacts that are on the Address Book, I've been using it for almost a week and it seems excelent since I cannot use the recent version of Mail (Lion and ML versions) I'm using the SL version I kinda feel obsolete, so have anyone tried it?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
If you like Outlook, then stick with it. I think Outlook is a little sluggish compared to Mail. I would normally recommend Ourlook to people connecting to an Exchange server.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Know that Outlook is unable to import MBOX or mail created in Lion or Mountain Lion. MicroSmurf has never bothered to address or fix this problem. Also, Outlook for Mac doesn't allow you to resize images/videos directly in an e-mail, like Mail does.

If you're working in a multiple OS environment (i.e. Windows) and are using Office for Windows, then it might make sense to use Outlook for Mac.

Personally, I dumped it almost immediately and went back to Mail. The main reason being that MicroSlop has refused to fix the import issue with ML or Lion.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Bending Pixels, Outlook can import .mbox files, but Mail creates a non standard type of .mbox file. You have to convert these to standard .mbox THEN you can import. However unlike Mail that imports a folder of .mbox files, Outlook imports one file at a time.

Emailchemy converts Apple MBOX to .mbox.

http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/

Your best option to move your messages is to use IMAP account.

MacAndrew07, if you have POP accounts, your data stored under "On My Computer" folders is not safe in Outlook. Rebuilding often fails and recovering from Time Machine requires you to rebuild because the database file is not backed up to Time Machine.

Outlook for Mac is a version 1 product where Outlook for Windows is a mature product. Expecting them to have the same features and stability is a bad assumption.

To get your contacts in Snow Leopard Address Book to Outlook Address Book still works using Sync Services. Open Outlook Prefs and make your selections under Sync Services. BACKUP data in both devices first.

Sync Basics

Outlook does not support CalDAV or CardDAV so sync between Outlook and Apple applications are slowly going away. CalDAV & CardDAV are protocols used by*Apple, Google, Yahoo and others to sync contacts and calendars.

Apple has deprecated Sync Services in Mountain Lion and it no longer works reliably.

• You can no longer sync with an iPhone or iPad via iTunes. You can only sync with an iPhone or iPad via a cloud-based service like iCloud or Google.
  • You can no longer sync local calendars with OS X Calendar (formerly iCal). You can, however, continue to sync calendars hosted on a cloud-based service like iCloud or Google with OS X Calendar.
  • You can no longer sync with any third-party apps running on your Mac that use Sync Services, like Entourage or Outlook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.