Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
The amount of cloud space you get should equal the amount of space on the iOS devices you bought.

If I buy a 64GB iPad, I should be able to back it up to the cloud.

...not that I'd want to do it all at once, but still...

the backups are only the metadata and app data if the app supports it

last time i restored my wife's iphone via icloud/wifi it installed the apps from the app store. its not like it backs up the app

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
I wonder how many of the users are like me in that they only use iCloud for syncing contacts and bookmarks? As a file syncing service it's pretty underwhelming IMO. Apple seriously need to add a Finder to iOS and iCloud if their cloud service aspires to be useful for more than syncing grocery lists.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
The amount of cloud space you get should equal the amount of space on the iOS devices you bought.

If I buy a 64GB iPad, I should be able to back it up to the cloud.

...not that I'd want to do it all at once, but still...

Why?
What are the items that take up the vast majority of space?
Apps? They are "backed up" via the App Store.
Media? It is "backed up" via iTunes.
Photos? Photostream.

So when you look at how much your device actually uses in "personal" data, what Apple offers is plenty.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Why?
What are the items that take up the vast majority of space?
Apps? They are "backed up" via the App Store.
Media? It is "backed up" via iTunes.
Photos? Photostream.

So when you look at how much your device actually uses in "personal" data, what Apple offers is plenty.

..and if you happen to need more (my sister who takes countless baby videos for example), the cost is quite cheap.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is there a way to pull down the iCloud data?

It works well for me. I use it for iWork documents. I keep almost all my work there. This means I can work on any computer. then move to any other computer and continue working with out need to move data. I mostly use Pages.

Yes I think they could afford to give you space based on the number of Apple products you own.

The other thing I need is a quick way to pull down the entire iCloud to make a local copy. Does this exist?

ricosuave

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
In front of my mac
It works well for me. I use it for iWork documents. I keep almost all my work there. This means I can work on any computer. then move to any other computer and continue working with out need to move data. I mostly use Pages.

Yes I think they could afford to give you space based on the number of Apple products you own.

The other thing I need is a quick way to pull down the entire iCloud to make a local copy. Does this exist?

These files are stored in a hidden folder within os x. But you can retrieve lost files if you are using Time Machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.