Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

iPod touch + Google Voice + Talkatone = iPhone 5?

Is this possible? If I buy the latest iPod touch and install Talkatone to use my google voice account, is it basically an IPhone 5 without the contract???
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:59 PM   #2
braddick
macrumors 68030

No.

The new iPod Touch is much thinner than the iPhone5.
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
No.

The new iPod Touch is much thinner than the iPhone5.
Lol. Yes, I know that the specs are not exactly the same. I mean, is it an iPhone in a practical sense?
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:16 PM   #4
7thson
macrumors 6502

I don't think the iPod touch has a proximity sensor and you'll be limited to making calls according to your wifi reception, i.e. when you have it. Yes it can work, for some, maybe you, it's been done. And discussed. Repeatedly.
7thson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:05 AM   #5
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis2004 View Post
Is this possible? If I buy the latest iPod touch and install Talkatone to use my google voice account, is it basically an IPhone 5 without the contract???
nope. its still an ipod touch. one that can make and receive calls on wifi.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:52 AM   #6
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Yes this will work... And pretty well, IF you can live with the (only) wifi connection. If you are around wifi when you want to take or make a call or text, all will work well. If you can't be around wifi, then the experience is less. One solution: a Mifi device, so you can take your emergency backup wifi anywhere. Turn it on when you need it and that works very well.

Suggestion: ipad mini with LTE. That's still portable and, effectively, has the " Mifi" built right in. I use that with talkatone and earbuds with microphone and all works very well.

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Feb 18, 2013 at 07:58 AM.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:21 AM   #7
likethesoup2
macrumors 6502a

Do a search: this has been discussed ad nauseam.
likethesoup2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:49 PM   #8
creincke
macrumors newbie

Additional Question about iPod Touch 5

I am considering getting a Touch 5 to use for phone with Talkatone over WIFI at home, and a Mobile Hotspot when not at home. Can anyone tell me if calls are always on speakersphone with the Touch 5, unless you are using a headphone or a Bluetooth device? Is it possible that there is a setting that will allow you to hear and talk as on a Smartphone without the use of a headset?
creincke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:53 PM   #9
akm3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by creincke View Post
I am considering getting a Touch 5 to use for phone with Talkatone over WIFI at home, and a Mobile Hotspot when not at home. Can anyone tell me if calls are always on speakersphone with the Touch 5, unless you are using a headphone or a Bluetooth device? Is it possible that there is a setting that will allow you to hear and talk as on a Smartphone without the use of a headset?
There is no 'ear speaker' on an iPod Touch so you can either have speakerphone or a line out or a head set.

I do think it can pair to a bluetooth headset as well but I'm just stretching.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:50 AM   #10
.Asa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creincke View Post
The iPod touch has a speaker on the bottom edge and a microphone near the camera, so I make phone calls on mine sometimes by holding it upside down with the screen facing out, so the speaker is near my ear and the microphone is near my mouth. It's a little awkward but it works.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 09:07 PM   #11
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

I don't think $35 a month for 300 minutes, and unlimted texting and data is too unreasonable of a price for the ability to actually be able to take a call no matter where you are rather than relying on wifi and a pair of headphones with a mic.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-...lans/overview/
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch