Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lisa Jo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Hey guys! First off, I have tried searching for the answer to my question, but I just haven't found anything that definitely answers my situation.

I have an iMac that is for family use. Old. Slowish. I have decided to move my husbands newerish MacPro into it's place for family use.

Since the iMac has tons of settings and histories and libraries of info that I still need, I was going to use Migration Assistant. My husband's Mac Pro also has his settings and libraries, etc.

Here's the question:
Using MA, and running a pipeline FROM the iMac TO the Mac Pro, will MA create a new user account that contains all the "stuff" from the iMac? Will it bring my Chrome, my iTunes, my camera apps, etc and create a user experience I am used to?

Will it then also keep my husbands user account just as he was used to it?

To be clear: this is what I want! I want my husband to be able to sit down and switch to his user acct and have everything as he is used to it, and I'd also like to be able to do the same thing. (and then I also need to set up an acct for my son and daughter.)

So I basically want to bring the info and settings from my iMac and have them ADDED to the Mac Pro, as a new user acct.

Sorry for all the words. Trying to paint an accurate picture of what I'm asking.

Also: Snow Leopard on both systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.