Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:22 AM   #76
bflowers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpramanik View Post
why wouldn't you run clean my mac rather than reinstall.. or
You can simply do a Finder search for the file extension and group select/delete the language files. You don't have to buy any software for that. .lproj if I recall correctly.

That said, I did just buy a little program from the Mac App Store called Disk Doctor that finds them as well as other junk to clear off your HDD. I think it was $1.99

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKnackwurst View Post
Well mine arrives the day before i have an exam. So it will probably stay in it's Box until late evening But i think my brain will just forget what i have to learn and just think about the computer that waits for me on my desk
Show up to the professor's office, explain the situation, and ask to take the exam sitting there on the floor of their office right that moment, because the iMac can't wait for you any longer!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbymac View Post
Pretty much this for me too. I just want it up and running from my Time Machine backup as quickly as possible. Not gonna bother staring at the iMac as it looks just like the 2011 model from the front, anyway.
I'll probably stare at mine a bit, then pull out the duct tape to properly install the Superdrive that some factory worker forgot to put in when they assembled it. Maybe take a picture of the completed iMac to send to Cook and Shiller, thanking them for allowing me to continue being a "Dinosaur."

A shame I'm only okay with woodworking, if instead I was good at sheet metal work (like custom fab work) I would totally make a dinosaur shaped mount for my Superdrive.
bflowers is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:16 PM   #77
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayAbels View Post
It'll take you about a month to "get around" the new OS.

But trust me... once you "get it"... there's no turning back.

Just an absolutely wonderful user experience.
Had it since Friday and am slowly getting used to it. I love the screen and the speed of everything. Also it is whisper quiet compared to my old PC. Just need to learn some more keyboard shortcuts to get around a bit quicker. Now i have to decide on which apps to buy etc. Currently weighing up Aperture verses Lightroom. I've found loads of threads on here about that but I guess it comes down to opinion at the end of the day. Trouble is I have to use a dog of a PC all day at work. Runs XP and has 1 GB RAM. Everything seems so slow compared to home now. Makes me even more desperate to leave so I can jump on my dream machine.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:27 AM   #78
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Had it since Friday and am slowly getting used to it. I love the screen and the speed of everything. Also it is whisper quiet compared to my old PC. Just need to learn some more keyboard shortcuts to get around a bit quicker. Now i have to decide on which apps to buy etc. Currently weighing up Aperture verses Lightroom. I've found loads of threads on here about that but I guess it comes down to opinion at the end of the day. Trouble is I have to use a dog of a PC all day at work. Runs XP and has 1 GB RAM. Everything seems so slow compared to home now. Makes me even more desperate to leave so I can jump on my dream machine.
If it makes any difference whatsoever my brother is a professional photographer and swears by Lightroom. I personally don't much about it but I know for sure that's the program he uses constantly. (I'm an audio engineer guy myself.)
JayJayAbels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:26 AM   #79
experimenthouse
macrumors newbie

(1) Resist the urge to plug it in and power on straight away!
(2) Check it externally for any defects.
(3) Attempt to fit it onto my desk next to my other monitor.
(4) Power it up and check for problems.
(5) Install all my apps (fresh load of everything).
(6) Run AOEIII at full settings (five years too late!)
(7) Start recording my album =D
experimenthouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:00 AM   #80
mlamb64150
macrumors member

Well, before I even touch the Mac I'll be tearing down my current desktop set-up, giving the desk a clean and perfect polish. Then I'm going to install some cable management, not that the iMac needs much.

Then I'll unbox, maybe with a video for the memories. I'll then sit it on the desk before wiring it up and figure how it's going to accompany my existing Dell 24' gaming monitor for my Xbox and my MBP 17' along side it.

Then I'll basically go through the process of downloading/installing all my fave apps and desktop preferences/spaces as it was on my MBP 17. Don't want to do a migration as my old install is bloated as hell from upgrading from Leopard/Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion.

Then maybe I'll just fire up iTunes via my Zeppelin Air and enjoy some beats as I stare lovingly at the screen
mlamb64150 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:37 AM   #81
aerobyravol
macrumors regular

I unplug all my X-max decorations (tree included) to be sure that my iMac is not starving
aerobyravol is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac