Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
I am in the final stages of choosing which new computer to buy. I am between a few, either a laptop or a Mini. The model I am considering is an i7 with the upgraded processor. I am considering the 1 tb fusion drive and 16 gb of ram.

One place I am seeing as the most likely to save money is the ram upgrade. I am seeing 16gb of ram online for under $100 but to upgrade it in the mac store its +$300. Does swapping out for 3rd party ram void your warranty? I see in the forums most people are talking about doing this themselves.

Any tricks to getting a better deal on these things ?

Hirakata

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Burbank, CA
No, it won't void your warranty. There's no real tricks to getting better deals. Just shop around. For RAM I usually start out at Ramseeker.com

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
What about the fusion hard drive?

I am a fan of having the OS on a separate drive. I would consider the smaller SSD disk then look to upgrade but it seems to be like you get the same amount of SSD storage in the fusion drive + the extra storage $50 bucks cheaper than you could with just getting a ssd drive on its own. kind of odd pricing... sounds to me like they are really trying to push this new drive concept. I am thinking to just with the flow and try it. I have 1 tb external drive that would be perfect to pair with this and use as a backup and I think I would be fine with that.

Last edited:

z4x0n

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Isla de Muerta
What about the fusion hard drive?

I am a fan of having the OS on a separate drive. I would consider the smaller SSD disk then look to upgrade but it seems to be like that much SSD is included in the fusion drive, and you get the extra storage $50 bucks cheaper than you could with just the ssd option. kind of odd pricing... sounds to me like they are really trying to push this new drive concept. I am thinking I am just going to try it.

it's 128GB SSD and 1 TB HDD , in total 1.12, i was thinking myself to get the High end Mac Mini or a High end MacBook Air. still confused :) you could get the HDD and replace it yourself to SSD, but get a fusion drive for the capacity. you could duplicate your OS using superduper on another external drive or simply use Time Machine

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
it's 128GB SSD and 1 TB HDD , in total 1.12, i was thinking myself to get the High end Mac Mini or a High end MacBook Air. still confused :) you could get the HDD and replace it yourself to SSD, but get a fusion drive for the capacity. you could duplicate your OS using superduper on another external drive or simply use Time Machine
Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah I am back and forth between those two systems myself.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
If you have a laptop then get the mini, if you don't have then go for a laptop with a cheap monitor
I agree.. have a laptop already. just went through with it and got the mini. Very excited!
2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Fusion Drive
+SuperDrive +Magic Trackpad

All thats left is to find a workable stand/fan combo and order the ram upgrade.

!! :apple: !!

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Congratulations :)

Edit: if you want to make it Portable then take a look at the Lenovo ThinkVision LT1421 14" portable monitor
Thanks those look cool. like they might be a little underpowered for my needs. Im planning on going a little bigger.

--
Also I am well aware of the heat concerns. I read up extensively in the mini forum before purchase. This thread and a few others is what convinced to be give the mini a shot - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1519999/

z4x0n

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Isla de Muerta
The Lenovo is only as a second monitor, just in case you want the mini to be a portable but yeah definitely bigger, that 14" screen retails for 200$ which is expensive

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
All thats left is to find a workable stand/fan combo and order the ram upgrade.

!! :apple: !!

This isn't mentioned often enough when ram upgrades come up. When you pick up the new ram, make sure you test it prior to use. Bad sticks come up at times, and it's simple enough to test, although I don't know if memtest works with ivy yet. That was a problem for a long time.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
This isn't mentioned often enough when ram upgrades come up. When you pick up the new ram, make sure you test it prior to use. Bad sticks come up at times, and it's simple enough to test, although I don't know if memtest works with ivy yet. That was a problem for a long time.
The RAM is on the way. I went with OWC, I saw them come up a few times in the forums and liked how they were very clear about the memory being valid for the device I was buying for. Testing is important to me. I will probably make a separate post about that subject though in a different forum and see what the people say about testing tools.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Skip the Lenevo products entirely. It was formerly IBM's baby and now strictly a Chinese company which is intent on diluting the market and being the #1 "PC" company. Why help them? There are other companies out there and though made in China (much of them) at least they are not Chinese companies (yet).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.