AppleDApp
macrumors 68020

I like that some read in french.

Anyone Read l'Avare by Molière?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:49 AM   #2477
Stig722
macrumors newbie

Slow Train!

A must read for anyone who knows anyone who is suffering from cancer.

http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Train-A-C...1745774&sr=1-1
Stig722 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:09 PM   #2478
BigHungry04
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to BigHungry04
I'm reading Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett. It is so far a fitting end to the Century Trilogy.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 05:38 AM   #2479
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHungry04 View Post
I'm reading Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett. It is so far a fitting end to the Century Trilogy.
I read the first book of that trilogy - never read the others - are they worth looking at? - and thought it a lot inferior to 'Pillars of the Earth' - which, to my mind, is by far the best book written by Ken Follett.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2014, 01:40 PM   #2480
Snot Rox
macrumors member

I'm currently reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
Snot Rox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2014, 01:57 PM   #2481
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rox View Post
I'm currently reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
I liked 'The Secret History' a lot, and 'The Goldfinch' is sitting on my sofa (along with a good many other books) waiting for me to notice it and start reading it.

Yet feedback has been a bit uneven (one reason why I have yet to start it). How do you find it?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 02:14 PM   #2482
Snot Rox
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
I liked 'The Secret History' a lot, and 'The Goldfinch' is sitting on my sofa (along with a good many other books) waiting for me to notice it and start reading it.

Yet feedback has been a bit uneven (one reason why I have yet to start it). How do you find it?
I haven't read her other books yet so it's hard for me to compare, but I'm about a quarter way into the book and so far it has been pretty good. The only thing I dislike is when she would describe things that are really not necessary and at times would start to make me lose interest. But if you get passed that, I think you'd enjoy it. It reminds me of Oliver Twist in a way.
Snot Rox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2014, 02:22 PM   #2483
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rox View Post
I haven't read her other books yet so it's hard for me to compare, but I'm about a quarter way into the book and so far it has been pretty good. The only thing I dislike is when she would describe things that are really not necessary and at times would start to make me lose interest. But if you get passed that, I think you'd enjoy it. It reminds me of Oliver Twist in a way.
Thanks for your reply.

Well, Donna Tartt's The Secret History was a dark, gripping, haunting, beautifully written and very well told tale that held your attention from beginning to end.

People who have read both tell me that The Goldfinch is the best book she has written since then, but that it is a bit uneven; however, I'll get into it one of these weekends, as - with the assign of the equinox - the evenings are now beginning to draw in.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:38 AM   #2484
BigHungry04
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to BigHungry04
Quote:
I read the first book of that trilogy - never read the others - are they worth looking at? - and thought it a lot inferior to 'Pillars of the Earth' - which, to my mind, is by far the best book written by Ken Follett.
I think that they're worth looking at. I enjoy historical fiction. Fall of Giants started off slowly, but it got better once it started building up to World War One. Winter of the World was better than Fall of Giants, in my opinion.

I really enjoyed Pillars of the Earth, and its sequel World Without End. I try to read those every year.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 09:57 AM   #2485
dianestory2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Pillars was a terrific book. I read World Without End, and didn't like it as much.

But right now, I'm reading "Nine Dragons" by Michael Connelly. This is the second book that I've read by him. The first one was "Lost Light". I'm rather unfamiliar with this genre, but I really enjoy his writing, and I love how "Hard Boiled" Bosch is. He's a great protagonist to follow.
dianestory2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM   #2486
Liberty.
macrumors 6502

Dance with Dragons. Ask me in 6 month and it will still be the same book lol.
Liberty. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
book, movies, sci-fi