Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm reading Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett. It is so far a fitting end to the Century Trilogy.

I read the first book of that trilogy - never read the others - are they worth looking at? - and thought it a lot inferior to 'Pillars of the Earth' - which, to my mind, is by far the best book written by Ken Follett.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm currently reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

I liked 'The Secret History' a lot, and 'The Goldfinch' is sitting on my sofa (along with a good many other books) waiting for me to notice it and start reading it.

Yet feedback has been a bit uneven (one reason why I have yet to start it). How do you find it?

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
I liked 'The Secret History' a lot, and 'The Goldfinch' is sitting on my sofa (along with a good many other books) waiting for me to notice it and start reading it.

Yet feedback has been a bit uneven (one reason why I have yet to start it). How do you find it?

I haven't read her other books yet so it's hard for me to compare, but I'm about a quarter way into the book and so far it has been pretty good. The only thing I dislike is when she would describe things that are really not necessary and at times would start to make me lose interest. But if you get passed that, I think you'd enjoy it. It reminds me of Oliver Twist in a way.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I haven't read her other books yet so it's hard for me to compare, but I'm about a quarter way into the book and so far it has been pretty good. The only thing I dislike is when she would describe things that are really not necessary and at times would start to make me lose interest. But if you get passed that, I think you'd enjoy it. It reminds me of Oliver Twist in a way.

Thanks for your reply.

Well, Donna Tartt's The Secret History was a dark, gripping, haunting, beautifully written and very well told tale that held your attention from beginning to end.

People who have read both tell me that The Goldfinch is the best book she has written since then, but that it is a bit uneven; however, I'll get into it one of these weekends, as - with the assign of the equinox - the evenings are now beginning to draw in.

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky
I read the first book of that trilogy - never read the others - are they worth looking at? - and thought it a lot inferior to 'Pillars of the Earth' - which, to my mind, is by far the best book written by Ken Follett.

I think that they're worth looking at. I enjoy historical fiction. Fall of Giants started off slowly, but it got better once it started building up to World War One. Winter of the World was better than Fall of Giants, in my opinion.

I really enjoyed Pillars of the Earth, and its sequel World Without End. I try to read those every year.

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014

Pillars was a terrific book. I read World Without End, and didn't like it as much.

But right now, I'm reading "Nine Dragons" by Michael Connelly. This is the second book that I've read by him. The first one was "Lost Light". I'm rather unfamiliar with this genre, but I really enjoy his writing, and I love how "Hard Boiled" Bosch is. He's a great protagonist to follow.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Prospero Burns (one of those Warhammer 40k novels - gosh this universe has really grown since the 1980s :eek:.)

Holy cow! Dan Abnett's writing is sucking me into the universe so completely. I've read some of his SF comics, but none of his novels until this one. That might change.

Last edited:

juliehrobak

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2014
Today was my local library sale, and I picked up the latest Bosch book (The Black Box), The Mysteries of Pittsburgh (Michael Chabon) and Vinelands by Thomas Pynchon --- all three for $1!

I think I'm going to read the Bosch first. I really enjoy Connelly's work.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Today was my local library sale, and I picked up the latest Bosch book (The Black Box), The Mysteries of Pittsburgh (Michael Chabon) and Vinelands by Thomas Pynchon --- all three for $1!

I think I'm going to read the Bosch first. I really enjoy Connelly's work.

Wow. That's quite a bargain! I've heard the Harry Bosch series is really good.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within, 2nd Edition (Hardback)
For more than twenty years Natalie Goldberg has been challenging and cheering on writers with her books and workshops. In her groundbreaking first book, she brings together Zen meditation and writing in a new way. Writing practice, as she calls it, is no different from other forms of Zen practice —"it is backed by two thousand years of studying the mind."

This new edition, which marks almost twenty years since the original book's publication, includes a new preface in which Goldberg expresses her trademark enthusiasm for writing practice, as well as a depth of appreciation for the process that has come with time and experience. Also included is an interview with the author in which she reflects on the relationship between Zen sitting practice and writing, the importance of place, and the power of memory.
Screen Shot 2014-10-04 at 8.03.45 AM.png

Its a nice little book about encouraging one to write.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I'll be reading two books this winter (I don't typically read a whole lot, although I read Red October again over the summer and it was every bit as good as I remembered it):
- The Secret Garden
- The Wind in the Willows

...both I read as a kid and absolutely loved. :)

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within, 2nd Edition (Hardback)

--book--

Its a nice little book about encouraging one to write.

That's a fantastic book for anyone even a little interested in writing as a career or hobby.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'll be reading two books this winter (I don't typically read a whole lot, although I read Red October again over the summer and it was every bit as good as I remembered it):
- The Secret Garden
- The Wind in the Willows

...both I read as a kid and absolutely loved. :)

That's a fantastic book for anyone even a little interested in writing as a career or hobby.

Two lovely books; may you enjoy revisiting them.

For my part, as a welcome distraction and for entertainment (and yes, like Melrose, revisiting memories of blessed childhood), I recently ordered the 50th anniversary copy (a beautiful edition, lavishly illustrated hardback) of Ian Fleming's (yes, the author of the James Bond books) charming book 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' (yes, the story which - loosely - gave rise to the story and plot of the movie of the same name).

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Two lovely books; may you enjoy revisiting them.

For my part, as a welcome distraction and for entertainment (and yes, like Melrose, revisiting memories of blessed childhood), I recently ordered the 50th anniversary copy (a beautiful edition, lavishly illustrated hardback) of Ian Fleming's (yes, the author of the James Bond books) charming book 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' (yes, the story which - loosely - gave rise to the story and plot of the movie of the same name).

I had forgot Fleming wrote that book... hard to imagine, really.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I had forgot Fleming wrote that book... hard to imagine, really.

Well, I saw the movie as a young child (and absolutely loved it); my parents then bought me the book, so I do remember reading it and being surprised that it wasn't exactly the same as the movie (although there are some similarities).

Then it somehow got mislaid, though, as we were a bookish household, with a great many books, this seems strange, as one tended to have a good knowledge of where a given book had got to. More likely, it was given to, or borrowed by, someone, and never subsequently returned.

Both book and movie have left me with a perfectly ludicrous affection for (actually, I lie; instead, they left with with an absolute passion for) antique, open-topped cars. It becomes even more ludicrous when you realise how much it rains in the corner of north west Europe where I am from. This combination of open-topped cars, and eternal miserable drizzle (or downpour) is not a marriage, in heaven, made.

Anyway, the book itself, an elegant and hefty hardback, is a charming book, lavishly illustrated (with the illustrations of the original book), and beautifully produced.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Yes it is. Now if I can put it into practice! :p

It helped me just to let go more when I pick up the pen. I used to envision everything I wrote as having to be worthy of Random House and suited for an independent at Cannes. Not any more. Ironically, for all the junk I've since let myself write, I've also drastically improved in the pieces that come out well.

I think she's the one who calls it "running off the rusty water" isn't she?

Well, I saw the movie as a young child (and absolutely loved it); my parents then bought me the book, so I do remember reading it and being surprised that it wasn't exactly the same as the movie (although there are some similarities).

Then it somehow got mislaid, though, as we were a bookish household, with a great many books, this seems strange, as one tended to have a good knowledge of where a given book had got to. More likely, it was given to, or borrowed by, someone, and never subsequently returned.

Both book and movie have left me with a perfectly ludicrous affection for (actually, I lie; instead, they left with with an absolute passion for) antique, open-topped cars. It becomes even more ludicrous when you realise how much it rains in the corner of north west Europe where I am from. This combination of open-topped cars, and eternal miserable drizzle (or downpour) is not a marriage, in heaven, made.

Anyway, the book itself, an elegant and hefty hardback, is a charming book, lavishly illustrated (with the illustrations of the original book), and beautifully produced.

You don't say. :p :D

But I agree - I like the feel of pages and can certainly appreciate having a well-made, well-illustrated volume. My copy of The Wind In The Willows is the same one I've had since childhood, with color plates (that admittedly aren't that wonderful) and black and whites of the original Arthur Rackham versions.

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Over the weekend, I started Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. I'm looking forward to getting it off my shelf! It's about 500 pages, and assuming that it is interesting, that will usually take me about a week or two to get through.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization

Yes they are worthy of a look. Just a few minutes ago I was silently crying while reading a chapter involving Eth Leckwith (née Williams) without knowing why. I came to realize it must be that she reminds me of my own grandmother, a brave, courageous and wise woman who suffered for love but never gave up until the end.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.