Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1
wandergirl
macrumors newbie

Time Capsule Start-Up Issue

I am trying to connect a new Time Capsule to my iMac (running OS X 10.6.8) and I am out of my depth. I am getting a flashing amber light and my computer does not detect the Time Capsule wirelessly.

I hooked up an ethernet cable from my cable modem to the WAN port and connected another ethernet cable from the TC to my computer. My computer only detects the TC in Airport when the ethernet cable is plugged in between the TC and the computer. Otherwise, it says it can't find the device. When it does detect the TC, it doesn't tell me what problem is causing the blinking amber light. I've tried googling for an answer, watched some videos, restarted the modem, the TC and my computer in the proper order, etc...but I can't seem to fix it. Any advice would be much appreciated.
wandergirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:38 PM   #2
wandergirl
macrumors newbie

I have resolved the problem though I'm not sure exactly how. In any case, it is now working. If there is a way to delete this thread, I'd be happy to do it.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:18 PM   #3
wandergirl
macrumors newbie

In case this doesn't get deleted, I'll try to make it of some value to future viewers. I did two things before the green light finally came on the Time Capsule:

1) I realized Airport was turned off on my computer so I turned it on.

2) I misinterpreted the Time Capsule Set Up Guide. I thought I had to wait until the amber light stopped flashing before I could go through the Airport Set Up procedure but now it seems to me that the green light doesn't come on until you've completed the set up.

This all seems rather clear and obvious now and I feel kind of stupid I didn't figure it out sooner, but in case someone else runs into the same problem, hopefully this will help.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals