Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scrumper

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2010
Great Britain
Whenever I try to log in to my account it just refuses and says "Authentication unavailable". Same thing with both my accounts. Pretty much what I've come to expect from Yahoo these days.:rolleyes:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I have Yahoo mainly for groups. For a short time I used Yahoo for mail when Eudora crashed on me once. I went right back of course. I agree Yahoo mail should allow IMAP/POP access and even have a feature on Yahoo mail to check other providers. For the longest time I kept my legacy AOL account just for the email address stability. Once I had my current email 5 years and transitioned even the slow pokes to it I then canceled AOL. If they had a Free/$10 a month email only option I would still have it.

I wish providers of services and clients would declare email the one area where walled gardens are bad and open it up. I doubt they would lose users. People have email addresses for a reason and changing them for most folks is much harder than changing home addresses or phone numbers.

To me the key feature of Eudora is automagically putting mails into folders. Saves me a bunch of time and mental distraction.

I hope Marissa is reading this. Congrats on the baby.

Rocketman

d3vi1

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Marissa, what we'd really like is access to our Yahoo mailboxes from desktop IMAP/POP clients. You know, like every other email provider on the planet?

While it's not advertised, it works like a charm with Apple Mail, Thunderbird, Evolution and I would assume also Outlook. It's standard IMAP, nothing special:
imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com using your Yahoo! ID as a username and password. Apple Mail configures it as POP3 by default, but by using the option key when pressing next, you can customise the server type and settings.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
The fact there are only 24 comments after about 18 hours tells me everything I need to know about the yahoo iOS mail app. Nobody even bothered to say it was 'snappier'.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Anybody noticing problems with the app icon badges not updating correctly? It seems like the number of unread emails in my inbox rarely matches the number displayed on the app icon.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
This looks nice...but

I just use the stock email app for my yahoo mail. Because I use the stock email app for all my email accounts. I have yahoo, iCloud, work POP email, personal POP email, and Gmail (via exchange sync). It makes it nice to have them all in one app. Rather than using the Gmail app, yahoo mail app, and stock email app to manage all my email accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.