Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
i tried finding the answer through internet searches but have been unable to do so...in the event I missed the obvious I apologize.

I am trying to determine how much bandwidth TeamViewer uses when I leave my laptop setup up for "unattended log on" as the idea is i) leave my laptop in this mode while at work and ii) from work, access my laptop on an as needed basis.

Thanks,

Joel

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i tried finding the answer through internet searches but have been unable to do so...in the event I missed the obvious I apologize.

I am trying to determine how much bandwidth TeamViewer uses when I leave my laptop setup up for "unattended log on" as the idea is i) leave my laptop in this mode while at work and ii) from work, access my laptop on an as needed basis.
I don't have specific numbers, but it's minimal while waiting for a connection. The real bandwidth usage occurs during an active connection, especially with file transfers and display set to optimize for quality rather than speed.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I don't have specific numbers, but it's minimal while waiting for a connection. The real bandwidth usage occurs during an active connection, especially with file transfers and display set to optimize for quality rather than speed.

Appreciate the response very helpful indeed....one followup, any idea on the amount of bandwidth that is used while connected excluding, of course, file transfer bandwdith which is easily determined.

Thanks,

Joel

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Appreciate the response very helpful indeed....one followup, any idea on the amount of bandwidth that is used while connected excluding, of course, file transfer bandwdith which is easily determined.
I don't track the bandwidth usage that closely. It will vary from one connection to another, and based on the settings you use. Any particular reason why the amount is of interest?

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I don't track the bandwidth usage that closely. It will vary from one connection to another, and based on the settings you use. Any particular reason why the amount is of interest?

Yes, the internet usage in my home last month was off the charts (i.e. 128 GB over our monthly limit) and before chasing the kids for an explanation I want to make sure that it was not due to my use of Team Viewer which was the only different / new usage between my wife and me.

Thanks,

Joel

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes, the internet usage in my home last month was off the charts (i.e. 128 GB over our monthly limit) and before chasing the kids for an explanation I want to make sure that it was not due to my use of Team Viewer which was the only different / new usage between my wife and me.
Unless you're consistently transferring a lot of files, there's no way TV could account for that. I use it daily and even with all my other internet activity, my usage is a fraction of that.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Unless you're consistently transferring a lot of files, there's no way TV could account for that. I use it daily and even with all my other internet activity, my usage is a fraction of that.

Thanks, much appreciated...will now need to speak to the kids which should be full of "not me, could not have been" or, my favorite, "I have no idea".

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, much appreciated...will now need to speak to the kids which should be full of "not me, could not have been" or, my favorite, "I have no idea".
Have you checked for torrent software on your computers?

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Have you checked for torrent software on your computers?

At the risk of asking a stupid question how does one do that noting that I have not added any such software on my mac...

Thanks,

Joel

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
At the risk of asking a stupid question how does one do that noting that I have not added any such software on my mac...
Open Finder and search your Macintosh HD for "torrent". That's a good place to start.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Open Finder and search your Macintosh HD for "torrent". That's a good place to start.

Appreciate the suggestions...did a search including the inclusion of system files and not a file showed...to the extent that you have other ideas they would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Joel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.