Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
Hello. I opened a thread about this earlier, but that took a different direction, and I would like to start afresh.
I just had a chat online with Apple support, and the representative suggest I should get the $1499 Retina, but I am still not sure.
I am stuck between the $1299 MacBook Air, the $1499 MacBook Pro, and the $1499 MacBook Pro Retina.
I will be getting a 4 TB external HDD, so storage should not be a problem, as far as I can see.
I will be using the MacBook for high school, but its my first time in a high school that requires a laptop, so I am not sure what they want me to do with it, but I dont think anything hardcore.
I will be gaming on the MacBook, nothing serious, some casual FPS gaming, just for passing the time, and right now, I play games about once a week or so, and hardly for an hour, so it isn't anything serious.
I also use Photoshop and the entire Creative Suite, but I am not really well versed with it, and I dont really do anything serious with it, just casual stuff.
I really like the crisp display on the Retina, and the speed at which the apps open up, and I also like the thinness of the Air.
The MBP is an upgradable machine, but to be true, I always say I will upgrade, but I never do.
The MBP is 409 days old, the MBP Retina is 163 days old, and the MBA is 45 days old.
So I will get better gaming performance from the Air, but the display on the Retina is oh so sexy.
So performance, any of the MacBook's would do it for me really, storage, I don't see it being a problem assuming I am able to run apps fast enough from my external USB 3.0 HDD, or get a cheap SATA to Thunderbolt adapter.
I am in a big dilemma now. What do I get?
Upgradability, Newest hardware, Retina display, ohh, my head hurts!
Also, please note : A refurb Mac is really not an option for me, I need the MacBook in 7 days max, and no refurbs are available at my local Apple store(there is only a premium reseller here), and getting it shipped online would take around a month.

Fifteen20s

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
My take on this and this was almost tl;dr. From what I gathered, you need a laptop, storage is not a prime concern and you like FPS games.

Do you currently have a desktop that is adequate for your games? Important question.

If yes then get the base MBA and keep your current machine for games. It is no slouch. When I bought mine I was looking for an iPad replacement, I wanted OSX instead of iOS, I have a iMac so I don't need horsepower.

This base MBA is impressive, I bet it would fit your needs.

If you do not have a desktop and want to play FPS games. then look at the Pro's.

macintoshguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
I just came back from the Apple Store, and I will be buying the base MBA Haswell in 3 days

Fifteen20s

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Good choice.

Use it and if you really find it inadequate you can flip it when the new rMBP come out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.