Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcooln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Florida
hi guy, just wondering how to transfer contact from samsung galaxy s2 to iphone 5, i tried to bluetooth it, but it doesn't work. the nano sim i used right now is new, just got it from tmobile. thanks in advance.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
You have to back up your Samsung to something else first. Hopefully you are backing it up. Use Google, Hotmail, Outlook, Windows address book, any Exchange server. Something. Then sync with the iPhone.

bcooln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Florida
You have to back up your Samsung to something else first. Hopefully you are backing it up. Use Google, Hotmail, Outlook, Windows address book, any Exchange server. Something. Then sync with the iPhone.

how to back up contact from samsung to google? thanks

Richal

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
Save them to your SIM and then use the Settings>Mail, Contacts and Calendars>Import SIM contacts option

Or if you have synced your contacts with Google or a Microsoft Exchange server

On your iPhone, open Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Tap Add Account and then select Microsoft Exchange. Enter your email address and login information. (If an Exchange server hosts your email, you'll also need to enter its domain; if you use Gmail, leave that field blank.) Enter a username—a valid name if you’re syncing with a real Exchange server, or your email address (if you like) if you use Gmail. In the Server field, enter the Exchange server’s address or m.google.com for Gmail. On the last screen choose what you want to import, and then tap Accept.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
To add to this, the data fields on the SIM card are fewer than on smart phones. So you can import phone numbers but might not be able to bring in other additional data in the address book.

Save them to your SIM and then use the Settings>Mail, Contacts and Calendars>Import SIM contacts option

Or if you have synced your contacts with Google or a Microsoft Exchange server

On your iPhone, open Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Tap Add Account and then select Microsoft Exchange. Enter your email address and login information. (If an Exchange server hosts your email, you'll also need to enter its domain; if you use Gmail, leave that field blank.) Enter a username—a valid name if you’re syncing with a real Exchange server, or your email address (if you like) if you use Gmail. In the Server field, enter the Exchange server’s address or m.google.com for Gmail. On the last screen choose what you want to import, and then tap Accept.

Owenol38

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
Easy Phone Sync is a way easier way of transferring to Android if you've got a Samsung. did this yesterday myself, and it pulled all my contacts, messages, calendars, music, photos, videos and notes out of iTunes and organised them perfectly on my iPhone 4.

Last edited:

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I like setting up a Gmail account on the old phone, enabling calendar/contacts sync, and then setting up that same even on the new phone. All your contacts come streaming in.

The fly in the ointment with this method is custom labels. Google doesn't sync custom labels created in OSX/iOS very well.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I write them all down on a piece of paper and then laboriously type them in. It seems daunting but was all done and dusted in an hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.