Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:42 AM   #76
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor-Obble View Post
Tesselator: So do I understand you correctly? I should download the free trial version of NTFS for Mac OS X onto this PC Laptop, save it to a flash drive or whatever and then upload it to my MAC? Will that work since the MAC doesn’t currently have a functioning brain (hard drive)? What would it be uploading to? Will this trial version work and remain there permanently? Sorry if these are dumb questions. And yes, I checked and rechecked all connections. Thanks!
No, doesn't work, you need to install it in an existing OS (X).

Don't want to read 3 pages again, if you use internet recovery and disk utility from it, it has plenty of issues (DU), I just went from 105.8 to 10.8 ML and had more problems with DU than from 10.0 to 10.5.8.

For instance, wanted to restore a windows ISO onto a USB stick, got an error, "resource busy", transferred to Powerbook and used DU there, no problem, seen 3 kinds of Errors, DU is buggy.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:31 PM   #77
Tesselator
macrumors 601

Quote:
Tesselator: So do I understand you correctly? I should download the free trial version of NTFS for Mac OS X onto this PC Laptop, save it to a flash drive or whatever and then upload it to my MAC? Will that work since the MAC doesn’t currently have a functioning brain (hard drive)? What would it be uploading to? Will this trial version work and remain there permanently? Sorry if these are dumb questions. And yes, I checked and rechecked all connections. Thanks!
Oh right... you're trying to format this HDD from a mac that has no OS installed. Crap!

Oh hey, try this... Download an HFS+ file system for your PC and format the drive there. HFS+ is the name of the File System Mac uses.

Here's one: http://www.paragon-software.com/home.../download.html
And another: http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive
Yet another: http://www.acutesystems.com/scrtm.htm

And then there's a step tutorial which claims HFS volumes can be created in windows:
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/forma...mac-49229.html
Tesselator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 07:26 AM   #78
sash
macrumors 6502a

What's the reason you don't want to bring you mac to some service centre? It's clear nobody understands what's going on with your machine. It could be something easy which you're overlooking and thus not mentioning, it could be something with your comp you can't repair yourself, it could be a bad drive (you really have to check this new hdd on another machine).
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:29 AM   #79
Doctor-Obble
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sash View Post
What's the reason you don't want to bring you mac to some service centre?
sash: Who said I didn't? I was originally going to do just that but was encouraged by people on this site to do it all myself because it was so easy. Murphy’s Law always prevails though…if something can go wrong it will. I am going to bring it to experts as soon as I can.
Doctor-Obble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:10 AM   #80
sash
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
sash: Who said I didn't? I was originally going to do just that but was encouraged by people on this site to do it all myself because it was so easy.
I understand, and I was one of them, so sorry. The problem is, almost everyone here have done such thing numerous times with success, so the inertia in thinking is: it's easy, we've done it before, thus you'll succeed too.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:45 PM   #81
Tesselator
macrumors 601

Yup!
Tesselator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 01:17 AM   #82
OS6-OSX
macrumors 6502

If you know any "Mac" people borrow Drive Genius and Techtool Pro. Boot from those disks and try to format/erase the HD.
Just another free shot at getting that 1.1 up and running.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1132...ivegenius.html
Shows 10.4.9 bootable

http://www.macworld.com/article/1140460/techtool5.html
Shows 10.5.5 bootable

When you finally get it going purchase both of those utility disks!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:18 AM   #83
sash
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I am going to bring it to experts as soon as I can.
Could you please post here the results, I mean the reason of the issue with this new (and maybe the old) drive, after receiving your machine from the service centre?
Old May 6, 2013, 09:44 AM   #84
sash
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I am going to bring it to experts as soon as I can.
Hi, have the techs been able to find out the reason of your issue?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro