Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abstern

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Washington, DC
Hey all!

I'll be getting an iPad 4th gen for myself soon, and was curious as to how large magazines or newspapers are within the iPad! I would like to have the option to download an issue of a magazine or a newspaper, such as Foreign Policy magazine, or the New York Times, without having to worry about them taking up a lot of space. So my question is, if you can download issues of magazines or newspapers directly to the iPad, how large do those files run?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Storage space for magazines was the #1 reason my ipad 1 16GB was really too small. Magazine issues are often 250-500MB per issue. With 3-4 subscriptions and wanting to keep 3-4 issues each, I was quickly running low on space.

FWIW, unless something has changed recently, there is no way to download the NYT on iOS.

abstern

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Washington, DC
I wasn't sure if the iPad version of the NYT app had more of daily newspaper feel to it compared to the iPhone version, so I was curious as to whether or not you could download a copy each day, but I guess the answer is no then!

Thank you for your answers! And I'm assuming the 500mb is for the 3rd and 4th gen to account for the retina display? Also, would a lack of interactive portions of the magazine decrease it, or is 500mb the norm, and interactive bits like video just bump it past that?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I wasn't sure if the iPad version of the NYT app had more of daily newspaper feel to it compared to the iPhone version, so I was curious as to whether or not you could download a copy each day, but I guess the answer is no then!

Thank you for your answers! And I'm assuming the 500mb is for the 3rd and 4th gen to account for the retina display? Also, would a lack of interactive portions of the magazine decrease it, or is 500mb the norm, and interactive bits like video just bump it past that?

Here's some examples that are on my iPad mini -

-Macworld 119 MB for 1 issue
-Local paper 208 MB for 7 days worth
-Distro 108 MB for 1 issue
-MAD 132 MB for 1 issue

Keep in mind that these totals also include the app size as well. It seems they are on the low side if they don't contain media.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
quick note: most magazines once you "buy" them will store them for you in their own server and mark them as "Purchased" so you can remove them from the device and re-download them as you desire to save space. They will also save a record of your purchases with your account regardless of whether you subscribe so you effectively "keep" those issues forever (unless they change their policy, maybe)

The New Yorker, Wired, The Economist, MacLife all seem to do this for me. i have a 16 gig and I haven't even scratched the surface on the storage space simply by "archiving" my older issue at the same time I download a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.