|Jan 11, 2013, 08:06 PM||#1|
Yet another what should I get scenario.
Upfront I will state my dream machine: I wish I could get the current high end imac without the screen in a mac mini box.
I currently have (at home) a 2006 mac pro. 8g of ram. 256 hard drive with additional 750 internal. 512 ATI Radeon HD 3870. It is sooo slow.
My new machine at work is the latest 2012 27 inch imac. base line model. It is sooo zippy.
Aside from the speed differences, the scrolling is different and it's confusing going back and forth between systems.
My old computer is not upgradable.
I am not happy with the new monitor on the imac at work in spite of the less glare screen. We had to buy the spyder pro 4 just to get close to my previously uncalibrated 27 inch 2010 imac. I have a 23 inch cinema display at home, calibrated, that shows more range than any of the imacs at work. Although the pixels are not quite as crisp as what I have at work. But it's fine. I actually went to the local apple store and tested all of the current imac monitors and they all tested consistently bad for shadow values using this test:
I'm concerned about where apple is heading and don't want to commit to their monitors.
I have the money to get what I want. Not that I have cash to throw around, but I want to make the best decision.
My needs: I use the entire CS suite for professional and personal use. Especially photoshop with tons of layers. For personal I use aperture for 5d3 raw files (which my current computer lags quite a bit) and high end photoshop files as well.
I don't do gaming or video work.
Would this be the best solution?:
mini:2.3GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
memory: 16 (upgraded to that with 3rd party ram)
hard drive: fusion 1tm or 256 ssd.
what are your thoughts?
|Jan 12, 2013, 08:02 AM||#2|
I don't use CS professionally so I can't comment as to whether or not you really need discrete graphics or not, however, my suggestion is to go the Apple store, buy a quad-core mini and pound on it. See if it meets your needs. If it does, buy a 256GB SSD and more RAM and put it in yourself. If not, return it and consider maybe a new(er) Mac Pro.
Considering your dislike for your iMac at work, I'd say buying an iMac is out of the question.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|iPhone: Special scenario unlocking help!||JDMricist||Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks||7||May 24, 2014 05:42 AM|
|Should I use Time Machine in this Scenario?||chris.mo||OS X||11||Oct 9, 2013 02:40 AM|
|iPhone: Jailbreak only for this scenario... Am I correct?||hansgmuny||Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks||4||Jun 19, 2013 10:42 PM|
|Upgrade scenario question||junglepunk||OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion||0||Mar 18, 2013 10:38 AM|
|iPhone: Best way to handle this scenario?||ddublu||Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks||6||Sep 24, 2012 01:57 AM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.