Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:23 PM   #26
kgallag1
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to kgallag1
Another comment I'll add about OWC. They were EXTREMELY prompt. They said they'd ship the Envoy Pro on the week of the 31 of December, it shipped ON the 31 of December. They shipped my SSD about 4 hours after I sent them payment. I was VERY impressed with the quality of service I received from them and would highly recommend OWC going forward.
kgallag1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:30 PM   #27
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallag1 View Post
Another comment I'll add about OWC. They were EXTREMELY prompt. They said they'd ship the Envoy Pro on the week of the 31 of December, it shipped ON the 31 of December. They shipped my SSD about 4 hours after I sent them payment. I was VERY impressed with the quality of service I received from them and would highly recommend OWC going forward.
I had good service with them as well but wont ever deal with them again simply due to their LOL prices.
Orlandoech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:24 PM   #28
walkie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvas View Post
Only bad thing about it is you need to peel the rubber feet off the bottom to access the screws. Most users won't be taking it apart so that's not a big deal.
But you can put them back together, can't you?
walkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:43 AM   #29
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkie View Post
But you can put them back together, can't you?
Yes but it doesn't go back on perfect - you'd need to remove all the glue and add new glue.
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:04 PM   #30
peterson12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandoech.com View Post
Well here is some info;

rMBP SSD is made by Samsung with a Samsung SSD Controller which has proved reliable, fast and stable. OWC uses SandForce Controllers which although good, have issues with Macs for some reason.
Hmm Orlandoech, your case must be a very rare one. In fact, OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G 240GB SSD when used for MBA has proven IOPS of 91,273 which is the best ever by any SSD.although the Samsung SM256E SSD may be faster when transferring incompressible data at high sequential levels, the OWC Aura Pro beats every other performance comparison thrown at it.
peterson12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:14 AM   #31
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Really? Have pics?

Ive pulled the SSD out of an easy 10 rMBPs both 13" and 15" and only seen Samsung.

For your viewing [ and reading ] pleasure: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6727/a...ok-pro-as-well
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:31 AM   #32
Mighty Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw3 View Post
SandForce controllers have issues no matter the computer they are installed in....

Also, rMBP's are now coming with a version of the SanDisk Ultra Plus with the Marvell controller. I've seen a few in customer rMBP's...
yea I agree with you sandforce based drives had a reputation of BSODs, Bugs, etc. But today bugs are non-existent. sandforce controllers doing good with many OEM's like intel, sandisk, etc
Mighty Anderson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:03 AM   #33
Ploki
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Only bad thing about it is you need to peel the rubber feet off the bottom to access the screws. Most users won't be taking it apart so that's not a big deal.
saywha?

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installi...012+SSD/9706/1

What rubber feet?
Ploki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:50 AM   #34
walkie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploki View Post

glad to know one doesn't have to put the rubber feet apart,

by the way, does anyone have a OWC SSD benchmark? (BlackMagic screen if possible),
thanks
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:55 AM   #35
Ploki
macrumors 68000

Quote:
glad to know one doesn't have to put the rubber feet apart,

by the way, does anyone have a OWC SSD benchmark? (BlackMagic screen if possible),
thanks
no, but I have this:
http://www.zdnet.com/owc-aura-pro-ss...er-7000007082/
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:21 AM   #36
walkie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
thank you!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:34 AM   #37
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
We were talking about the OWC Envoy enclosure, it has rubber feet over the screws on the bottom. OWC sells replacements.

Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:45 AM   #38
Ploki
macrumors 68000

Quote:
We were talking about the OWC Envoy enclosure, it has rubber feet over the screws on the bottom. OWC sells replacements.

Aaah.
How you mean most user wont be taking it apart? Why would you buy it if not to house your old SSD?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:16 AM   #39
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Aaah.
How you mean most user wont be taking it apart? Why would you buy it if not to house your old SSD?
You'll assemble it to put your SSD in there but you're right most people won't take it apart after that. If you have another SSD or you use it to copy data from another SSD for a friend or something, you will have to take it apart though.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:06 PM   #40
skriefal
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I'm wondering if someone will come out with an adapter to fit a regular SSD (maybe with the case removed) in the SSD location in the 13" rMPB
What about an mSATA SSD + adapter board? Could that fit in the space of the current proprietary SSD? Would have to wait a bit for > 256GB mSATA SSDs to be available, of course, but that'll probably happen this year.
skriefal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:25 PM   #41
peterson12
Banned

Quote:
Well here is some info;

rMBP SSD is made by Samsung with a Samsung SSD Controller which has proved reliable, fast and stable. OWC uses SandForce Controllers which although good, have issues with Macs for some reason.
Hmm Orlandoech, your case must be a very rare one. In fact, OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G 240GB SSD when used for MBA has proven IOPS of 91,273 which is the best ever by any SSD.although the Samsung SM256E SSD may be faster when transferring incompressible data at high sequential levels, the OWC Aura Pro beats every other performance comparison thrown at it.
peterson12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:42 PM   #42
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
What about an mSATA SSD + adapter board? Could that fit in the space of the current proprietary SSD? Would have to wait a bit for > 256GB mSATA SSDs to be available, of course, but that'll probably happen this year.
Mushkin has a 480GB mSATA SSD
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:41 PM   #43
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Nice to read from your own experience!, now we have our first happy user , the good thing about OWC upgrade is the toolbox, the case for the remaining SSD and the 3-year warranty.
I used OWC for my MB Air...worked great. Now have a rMBP, put the OWC ssd in their sleek case and its a great (and small) protable drive.

I think many comments here are not based on having owned an OWC Blade.

----------

Quote:
I had good service with them as well but wont ever deal with them again simply due to their LOL prices.
How silly, where else can you get the drives cheaper?
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:01 PM   #44
skriefal
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Mushkin has a 480GB mSATA SSD
Then perhaps we have a hope for mSATA adapters to be available soon. There wasn't much point making them when the largest mSATA SSD was only 256GB.
skriefal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 02:09 AM   #45
calderone
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Interesting. I wonder how the SandDisk performs. I haven't used an SSD with the Marvell controller before.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6727/a...ok-pro-as-well

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro