Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:00 PM   #76
wobegong
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmillsnun View Post
They were very fast back in their time.

Put Tiger on rather than Leopard.
Yeah he could then also put Windows98/2000 on that Compaq to compare....
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:20 PM   #77
LOLZpersonok
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmillsnun View Post
They were very fast back in their time.

Put Tiger on rather than Leopard. (I'm guessing your PC is running XP and not Windows 8!). Then install TenFourFox http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

It will give you a modern browser with a modern javascript engine but optimised for Tiger and PowerPC processors.
My G4 MDD is running Tiger. I heard from somewhere that Leopard was faster than Tiger on the G4's but I don't know if that's true. It came with Tiger and I don't have any disks to install Leopard, I've only got disks for 10.2.

I also heard that the Camino browser (Or whatever it's called) is also faster than Firefox. Is this also true, will it help? I will try that TenFourFox.

Also, just a random side note, my old PC was running XP, even though it came with lovely Vista. My new HP is on Windows 8 and I'm very happy with it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegong View Post
Yeah he could then also put Windows98/2000 on that Compaq to compare....
That Compaq is running Windows 2000. So is my other one. I think with those Compaq's it has something to do with the RAM. One is maxed out at 512MB of RAM and has the same performance on Gmail as my G4 MDD. The other one has 128MB and is notably slower.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:55 PM   #78
cjmillsnun
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLZpersonok View Post
My G4 MDD is running Tiger. I heard from somewhere that Leopard was faster than Tiger on the G4's but I don't know if that's true. It came with Tiger and I don't have any disks to install Leopard, I've only got disks for 10.2.

I also heard that the Camino browser (Or whatever it's called) is also faster than Firefox. Is this also true, will it help? I will try that TenFourFox.
Tiger is definitely the quicker OS on a G4.

Camino is good and very likely quicker than firefox. I use Safari and Chrome nowadays as I'm Intel based and prefer webkit browers, but what struck me about tenfourfox is it is specifically compiled and optimised for 10.4 and PPC hardware.

I have my eye on a friend's redundant Power Mac G5, so may well be able to do some testing soon.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs