Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
Is it possible to edit HD movie files located on an external HD without importing them onto my computer? I'm using a MBA with limited HD space. My external is quite a bit larger and is connected via a thunderbolt cable. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Yes, that's the recommended way as it prevents excess wear and tear and your internal drive due to the constant read/write activity during the editing process.

When you import into iMovie(don't know about Final Cut etc, but they should have a similar option), choose to save the Event to your external drive.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is it possible to edit HD movie files located on an external HD without importing them onto my computer? I'm using a MBA with limited HD space. My external is quite a bit larger and is connected via a thunderbolt cable. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

It will work fine on the external drive. But if the internal drive os FLASH then it will work faster on the internal drive. Then later after you are done move everything off to make more room

In the days before FLASH drives everyone had to put the video on an external because it was faster,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.