Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

View Poll Results: What imac will you buy
21,5-inch: 2,7-GHz 17 10.49%
21,5-inch: 2,9-GHz 34 20.99%
27-inch: 2,9-GHz 29 17.90%
27-inch: 3,2-GHz 82 50.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:25 PM   #26
atthecross
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
27"
smaller of the two processors
16gb memory
3tb 7200 drive
bigger video card
atthecross is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:33 PM   #27
HBen
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by atthecross View Post
27"
smaller of the two processors
16gb memory
3tb 7200 drive
bigger video card
Bigger video card???
HBen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:24 PM   #28
Sech
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
21.5 $1499 model without any upgrades I think. I'll connect it to a 24inch Dell IPS monitor. I've had 27's before and prefer having dual screens to one large one.

Wavering on wether to do the RAM or Fusion but then you're talking 27 inch price territory and I know this won't be a machine that lasts longer than a year. Sigh.
Sech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:42 PM   #29
Vuddha
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I am planning to get a NEW 27" IMAC and Planning to use Bootcamp for PC Gamming.

I work with Photoshop, and Adobe Premier, After Effects and I play WoW on MAC and Star Wars Old Republic and other PC only games. I have a Synology DS212+ NAS for Data and Backup.

Going with:
27" 3.4GHz quad-core Intel core I7 with 8MB L3 cache $1999. + $200.
8GB Ram, Upgrade to 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 from OWC or Crucial +$200
1TB 7200rpm Fusion Drive + $250., or 768GB SSD $1300. with an External Thunderbolt Drive [LaCie 2big Thunderbolt Series 6TB (7200 rpm) Hard Drive Maybe] $669.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX Graphic processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory $150.

AppleCare Protection Plan $149.

External Samsung SE-506AB Slim Portable Blu-ray Writer [$89.] to replace the Super drive Apple remove.

Choices of drive 768GB SSD [$1300.], 1T [$250.] or 3T [$400.] Fusion HHD, 1T [$0.] or 3T [$150] HDD

So the Price has a big range. $3037. 27" with 3.4 i7, 680MX, Optical Drive, 32GB Ram 1T Fusion Drive, and Apple Care. To a high of $4756. Drop the 1T Fusion and get 768 SSD with the External 6T Thunderbolt Raid Drive.

Most likely the $3037 Choice or maybe Add $150. more for the 3T Fusion.

The problem is with Bootcamp you need to partition your internal drive It will not work on an external Drive. When you have a Fusion Drive you have to partition HDD and use the non fusion HDD partition side for Bootcamp and Windows. You cannot use the SSD side for Windows so you lose the extra speed you may have if you could. (Note - 3TB drives can't currently be partitioned for Bootcamp.) and I rather use Bootcamp. I am confused as to what Drive setup I should get?

Now we get to the reason why I might wait before I get my Imac. Maybe OWC has looked into doing Turnkey with the New Imac's and Install Larger SSD [256GB or 512GB with a fast 1T HDD or 2T] with or without the Fusion part? Not knowing if the IMAC 27" Drive bay will even accept them? Here’s Hoping.

Apple may even fix Bootcamp to work with 3T HDD and Fusion 3T. But would be even better is for them to give upgrades of 256GB or 512GB ssd with the Fusion Drive. I may get the 768SSD But an extra $1300. is high .

So this is the reason I might wait to see what OWC is going to offer or Will Apple fix Bootcamp to work with a 3T Drive. We'll just have to see.
Vuddha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:50 PM   #30
Kirk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Norway
27"
2.9 GHz (still considering upgrading to 3,2)
660M
1 TB Fusion
8 GB RAM (will upgrade later)
Kirk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:11 PM   #31
atthecross
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBen View Post
Bigger video card???
one of the pre-order websites that i was on gave a choice of:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

or

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX Graphic processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

when i posted i didn't have that info that's why i said bigger
atthecross is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:14 PM   #32
HBen
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by atthecross View Post
one of the pre-order websites that i was on gave a choice of:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

or

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX Graphic processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

when i posted i didn't have that info that's why i said bigger
U can't upgrade the base 27" graphics card though.
HBen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:17 PM   #33
atthecross
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBen View Post
U can't upgrade the base 27" graphics card though.
yeah, then i messed up again, meant the $1999 model with the i5 processor so meant to say the smaller of the two processor i5 vs i7 on the higher end 27"
atthecross is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:17 PM   #34
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngenerator View Post
27" w/ the 3.4GHz i7
3TB Fusion Drive
Upgrading the RAM later, I'll deal with 8GB for now.
Yep this will be my loadout too
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.
torana355 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:48 PM   #35
Fresh28
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
27"
2.9 GHz (still considering upgrading to 3,2)
660M
1 TB Fusion
8 GB RAM (will upgrade later)
Same deal
Fresh28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:01 PM   #36
Mr. Dee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jamaica
None of the above

Waiting on Rev B. Will be waiting on all your beta testing results.

Part of the reason, I am still saving and I would not be able to travel to the US this year and I am still up in the air between the iMac 2013 Rev B, Mac Mini + Cheap Display or MacBook Pro non retina 15 inch.
__________________
3rd Gen 32 GB iPod Touch
Mr. Dee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:51 PM   #37
bflowers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Can't vote, because you left out the BTO options. Here is what I'm looking at:

27" BTO
i7
1.1Tb Fusion
680MX
Will upgrade the RAM myself in a few months. 8Gigs is currently exceeding my needs in my MacBook.

Tossing in One-To-One, as I want some good training on Aperture 3 and have two Apple Stores in reasonable proximity to me. It should be a good deal as I can go as often as I can fit it in.

AppleCare, but I might add that later, as there isn't a reason to buy it right away.

Getting a Magic Trackpad, because I prefer it for most things, and have a supply of mice for when I need it.

Already bought my Superdrive when BestBuy had them on sale.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[poll] Would you buy an iPad Pro? Jacksonc iPad 48 Mar 10, 2014 12:20 PM
Poll - Which rMBP did you buy? Joshuaie MacBook Pro 6 Oct 29, 2013 06:28 PM
Corrected Poll: Which Configuration did you buy? WizardHunt iMac 14 Feb 5, 2013 09:43 AM
Ordered 27" iMac on 30th, Payment Still Processing crovali iMac 6 Dec 3, 2012 12:33 AM
Is new iMac released in UK on 30th to? MrMister111 iMac 7 Nov 28, 2012 07:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC