Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Fluxus92
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Editing QuickTime Screen Recording in After Effects CS6

Hi,

I'm doing a project that is based around using footage from Google street view. I've collected my footage at the highest quality setting using QuickTime screen recording and imported it into AfterEffects CS5. However, when I render my clip (only 20 seconds at this stage) even at Best Quality settings the quality was drastically reduced from looking almost HD to soft around the edges. Even selecting 'Lossless', which is less than ideal, was not much better.

Would really appreciate some advice!!

Thanks,

Richard.
Fluxus92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:11 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
What codec did you use in exporting from QuickTime and exporting from After Effects (CS5 or CS6 - thread title and post are conflicting)?
__________________
FREEdomly passports. Circumwent bürocrazy.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:23 AM   #3
Fluxus92
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Sorry, it's CS5. How do I find out the codec? Is that like DV-PAL? Also I didn't export from Quicktime I just imported into after effects.

Cheers!
Fluxus92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:25 AM   #4
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxus92 View Post
Sorry, it's CS5. How do I find out the codec? Is that like DV-PAL? Also I didn't export from Quicktime I just imported into after effects.

Cheers!
In order to find out, what may be wrong with your video, you can use the following three applications to analyse a sample video file.
When done, you can use the "Report" (VideoSpec) and "Export" (Media Inspector) button to export a report,
attachable to your next post via the button.
In MediaInfo you have to go to the Menu Bar, select View > Text and copy the text via CMD+A > CMD+C and paste it via CMD+V into your next post.
__________________
FREEdomly passports. Circumwent bürocrazy.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Fluxus92
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
ok I'll do that now. While I wait for it to download, I just tried re-importing it but this time as specifically a quicktime movie file, whereas before it was MV4. Do you think this might have any effect?

----------

Sorry not MV4, MPEG
Fluxus92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Fluxus92
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
report attatched here
Attached Files
File Type: txt VideoSpec report 2013-01-03.txt (949 Bytes, 25 views)
Fluxus92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:39 AM   #7
acearchie
macrumors 68030
 
acearchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Are you setting up the composition correctly in after effects?

Are you actually doing any effects work? If not, why are you using After Effects?

Did you render out the sequence or actually export the composition? What settings did you use to export?
acearchie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Fluxus92
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by acearchie View Post
Are you setting up the composition correctly in after effects?

Are you actually doing any effects work? If not, why are you using After Effects?

Did you render out the sequence or actually export the composition? What settings did you use to export?
I used the standard composition settings but with NTSC D1 Widescreen. I'm required to create a film that is 16:9 ratio; is there a better preset to achieve at a good quality? And I just checked and saw that resolution is set to half, should this be full?

Yes After Effects work is central to the piece.

I rendered out the composition at:

Quality: Best

Resolution: Full

Output Module> Video Codec : DV25 PAL

Format: Quicktime.



Sorry if I'm a little hazy on the details, I've only been using after effects for a few months on and off! I appreciate any support. Cheers, Richard.
Fluxus92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:45 AM   #9
handsome pete
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Is there a reason you're trying to export as DV25 PAL?


From the looks of it the footage you captured is heavily compressed to begin with. What are you using to capture your footage? Can you up the quality there?

Also, your footage is being captured at 1280x800. That's not 16:9. How are you incorporating your footage into your comp? Scaling? Cropping?

When you say the resolution is set to half, is that in the output settings or the composition window settings?
handsome pete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:02 AM   #10
boch82
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxus92 View Post
I used the standard composition settings but with NTSC D1 Widescreen. I'm required to create a film that is 16:9 ratio; is there a better preset to achieve at a good quality? And I just checked and saw that resolution is set to half, should this be full?

Yes After Effects work is central to the piece.

I rendered out the composition at:

Quality: Best

Resolution: Full

Output Module> Video Codec : DV25 PAL

Format: Quicktime.



Sorry if I'm a little hazy on the details, I've only been using after effects for a few months on and off! I appreciate any support. Cheers, Richard.
So are you saying the footage looks soft in after effects or on the rendered comp?

Just because you set the output settings, that only effects a rendered comp.

If your footage is soft in After Effects then you probably are using a low resolution viewer setting.
boch82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Fluxus92
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsome pete View Post
Is there a reason you're trying to export as DV25 PAL?


From the looks of it the footage you captured is heavily compressed to begin with. What are you using to capture your footage? Can you up the quality there?

Also, your footage is being captured at 1280x800. That's not 16:9. How are you incorporating your footage into your comp? Scaling? Cropping?

When you say the resolution is set to half, is that in the output settings or the composition window settings?

I'm using QuickTime Player "New Screen Recording" option in the toolbar. There's no option to up the quality, however when i play the file before I put it into After Effects the quality is pretty good, so all I want is for it to be the same after I have rendered it.

I am scaling it so that the image fills the frame, masking off some parts of it.

resolution is set to half in the comp window settings. In the output it is full. Does that make any difference?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by boch82 View Post
So are you saying the footage looks soft in after effects or on the rendered comp?

Just because you set the output settings, that only effects a rendered comp.

If your footage is soft in After Effects then you probably are using a low resolution viewer setting.

Footage is soft in both After Effects and on the rendered comp.

Even with the viewer setting resolution on full it is still soft in after effects.

Also I forgot to mention that not only is the footage lower quality, but so is a (high quality) scanned line drawing which i am overlaying.

Which makes me think it must be a problem with the composition set up or the render settings.

Do you think it could be to do with the preset selected?
Fluxus92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Fluxus92
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsome pete View Post
Is there a reason you're trying to export as DV25 PAL?


From the looks of it the footage you captured is heavily compressed to begin with. What are you using to capture your footage? Can you up the quality there?

Also, your footage is being captured at 1280x800. That's not 16:9. How are you incorporating your footage into your comp? Scaling? Cropping?

When you say the resolution is set to half, is that in the output settings or the composition window settings?
Also, no there is no real reason apart from in a tutorial I had at Uni they said that might be a good preset for beginners. What you would recommend instead?
Fluxus92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:18 AM   #13
boch82
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxus92 View Post
Also, no there is no real reason apart from in a tutorial I had at Uni they said that might be a good preset for beginners. What you would recommend instead?
First off....no reason to use PAL unless you are from a PAL country...

Create a new comp with the settings attached....render out a lossless (animation codec) quicktime....the use that quicktime to convert to whatever delivery specs you need....

the ntsc-pal conversion/framerates could be causing the issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 12.17.29 PM.png
Views:	5
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	387696  
boch82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:36 AM   #14
Fluxus92
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by boch82 View Post
First off....no reason to use PAL unless you are from a PAL country...

Create a new comp with the settings attached....render out a lossless (animation codec) quicktime....the use that quicktime to convert to whatever delivery specs you need....

the ntsc-pal conversion/framerates could be causing the issue
OK thanks very much boch82, I will try that.

Just quickley though - I'm from the UK which is I believe a PAL country - but this is only really going to be shown using my macbook pro so does that matter?

And also, doesn't rendering a lossless file create a huge file size that lags in playback?
Fluxus92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:17 PM   #15
boch82
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxus92 View Post
OK thanks very much boch82, I will try that.

Just quickley though - I'm from the UK which is I believe a PAL country - but this is only really going to be shown using my macbook pro so does that matter?

And also, doesn't rendering a lossless file create a huge file size that lags in playback?
PAL/NTSC doesnt matter for digital playback....if you need to create a DVD then it will matter...but you can do the conversion when converting to MPEG 2 to burn. The only change i would make to my settings is going to 25 fps instead of 30. That will give a better encode for a PAL DVD since there will be no frame rate conversion.

It will create a large file and shouldnt lag. However, if you have quicktime pro or even adobe media encoder, you can convert that file to an mp4 with the h264 codec that will reduce file size with very minimal quality loss. Better to alway start with the best quality and compress from there.
boch82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:22 AM   #16
Fluxus92
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by boch82 View Post
PAL/NTSC doesnt matter for digital playback....if you need to create a DVD then it will matter...but you can do the conversion when converting to MPEG 2 to burn. The only change i would make to my settings is going to 25 fps instead of 30. That will give a better encode for a PAL DVD since there will be no frame rate conversion.

It will create a large file and shouldnt lag. However, if you have quicktime pro or even adobe media encoder, you can convert that file to an mp4 with the h264 codec that will reduce file size with very minimal quality loss. Better to alway start with the best quality and compress from there.

hi, thanks so much for all your advice ive now got a high quality film that I'm ready render. Im expecting it to take a very long time and be a huge file... so how would i go about compresisng it once its done? thanks! richard
Fluxus92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:28 AM   #17
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxus92 View Post
so how would i go about compresisng it once its done? thanks! richard
What is the target again? Either use MPEG Streamclip to do it manually or use HandBrake to do it automatically. Or if you have Adobe Media Encoder, you could do a bit more, depending what your target is.
__________________
FREEdomly passports. Circumwent bürocrazy.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:57 AM   #18
boch82
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxus92 View Post
hi, thanks so much for all your advice ive now got a high quality film that I'm ready render. Im expecting it to take a very long time and be a huge file... so how would i go about compresisng it once its done? thanks! richard
Send me a PM with what software you have and I'll help you figure out what the best way to get a high quality compressed file will be
boch82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
QuickTime: screen recording with audio? badman89 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Dec 12, 2013 05:23 AM
Quicktime Screen Recording Freezing soulred12 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jul 14, 2013 04:21 PM
QuickTime Player Screen Recording Blurry - rMBP Desmo1098 MacBook Pro 0 Dec 10, 2012 06:42 AM
Quicktime screen recording unacceptably choppy Forkjulle Mac Applications and Mac App Store 7 Nov 7, 2012 03:37 PM
Quicktime Player - screen recording with audio? slapple Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Aug 19, 2012 11:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC