Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
iPad used to look great but I honestly think the mini makes it look dated now. One of the reasons I got a mini.

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
I personally hope it doesn't change to match the Mini. I'm not a big fan of the black back on the Minis and prefer the uncolored aluminum, but don't care for the white bezel. I like my iPad 2 with the black bezel and aluminum back and don't want to lose that color combination.

novono

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
I personally hope it doesn't change to match the Mini. I'm not a big fan of the black back on the Minis and prefer the uncolored aluminum, but don't care for the white bezel. I like my iPad 2 with the black bezel and aluminum back and don't want to lose that color combination.

I agree, the black anodized (?) back would cheapen the design.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Looks amazing. Will look even better once people stick a full-body case over it so nobody can actually tell if its an ipad 4 or 5.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Face, the ipad is one of the ugliest hi tech devices ever. The mini has a certain charm, but the full size looks like and etch a sketch. The 11" air inspires, the 10" ipad, meh. The problem is excerbated by the hideous smart cover. I hope some one makes a thin cover worthy of the ipad 5. We'll see.

You have some funny ideas about design. Id hate to see what you thought looked good :s

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
That is certainly an impressive render and probably pretty accurate.

It's possible, but unlikely, that Apple may introduce a new form-factor altogether for the iPad 5.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
You have some funny ideas about design. Id hate to see what you thought looked good :s

Yeah, that's a funny point. I realize design is [mostly] subjective, but when I hear someone carp about how good/bad some design X is, I wonder about their design execution on things they own (their house, car, clothing, etc.)

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Obvious but nonetheless nice renders. I like how he's thinned the bezel but not to the point where you've nothing left to hold. I groan everytime I hear/read someone say it should be virtually bezel free - might work with a phone, but would be hell on a 9.7" device. The Mini's are just about manageable, any less and I'd be forced to use it landscape nearly all the time. Apple's talk of clever software distinguishing between deliberate touches and holds, hmm, can't say I've noticed. I'm accustomed to it now, but I experienced a few unwanted screen touches when I first got the mini.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I had just posted another thread about this (obvious duplicate), but I was making the point that I think these changes (along with weight reduction) could really bring the 9.7" model back into the sunlight. If you can get the larger screen with drastically reduced dimensions, then the decision becomes much more interesting between 9.7" and 7.9" IMO.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I don't like it...I'd rather have a shiny metal surface with less bezel, yet maintain the taper.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
I think the ipad5 will be thinner and lighter but I doubt they will reduce the side bezel much.It's not practical.Reducing the side bezel on the mini makes sense because you can hold it with one hand in portrait mode without the fingers blocking the display.You can't hold the 9.7 with one hand securely unless you are maybe Shaquille O'neal.You need to hold it with both hands and then your thumbs will block the display if there are no bezels.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Found this online. The guy who made it has some serious talent. Have a look through the photo group, there are some really great images :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nepaltibet2005/8325073425/in/set-72157632380736979/

I wouldn't call that serious talent since all he did was read the rumors that the next full sized iPad would be the same or a very similar design to the iPad mini and drew a a big version of the Mini.

Now if he came up with an original design that was still in the spirit of Apple's that would show some 'serious talent'

----------

When I said "serious talent, I was referring to the fact that he built the 3d model himself and redered it to look extremely realistic. It's not a simple photo edit. Check your facts dude. LOL.

That doesn't require any major talent. Maybe more than you have but what he did was basic training level work.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I think the ipad5 will be thinner and lighter but I doubt they will reduce the side bezel much.It's not practical.Reducing the side bezel on the mini makes sense because you can hold it with one hand in portrait mode without the fingers blocking the display.You can't hold the 9.7 with one hand securely unless you are maybe Shaquille O'neal.You need to hold it with both hands and then your thumbs will block the display if there are no bezels.

Yep. I'm not a fan of the Mini bezel (do I just have hopelessly large thumbs, or am I not supposed to use it in portrait mode?), so a full size iPad with a narrow bezel would be a real bummer. I like the current design a lot, though I'd be fine with lighter, thinner, and all that.

novono

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
I wouldn't call that serious talent since all he did was read the rumors that the next full sized iPad would be the same or a very similar design to the iPad mini and drew a a big version of the Mini.

Now if he came up with an original design that was still in the spirit of Apple's that would show some 'serious talent'

----------

That doesn't require any major talent. Maybe more than you have but what he did was basic training level work.

How about some skill? It would be a more appropriate word IMO.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I think that is definitely the direction Apple is headed.... In fact I also think the iPhone 6 will be a smaller version of the iPad mini design as well :eek: which I dont mind at all because its a beautiful look. Apple may even surprise everyone and change the design after one year which is not the norm, but they may do it to have everything uniform.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
OMG thats literally exactly how i imagined it too this guy did an AMAZING job please apple take that design and make it real

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.