Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
These programs work great as they are. I would love for Apple to just continue evolving them and update them through the App store. I wouldnt buy them again because right now they more than suit my needs.

MarkRoderick

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Still No Upgrades

Now it's 2013 and still no upgrade to iWorks. Specifically, Numbers lacks the XIRR function, which makes it useless for financial analysis.

Why? Why isn't Apple upgrading these products?

Sure, they make no money on software, they make money on devices. But wouldn't an upgraded iWorks package for the Mac tend to result in the sale of more devices? I mean, they went to the trouble of synching with the iPad apps, but what's the point of synching to the iPad apps if people can't use the Mac apps?

I can't figure it out, but it's frustrating.

MarkRoderick

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
I think I've figured this out. The Office suite is the heart of Microsoft's business. Selling devices is the heart of Apple's business. I'm guessing there is an agreement between Apple and Microsoft, either explicit or implicit, that Apple will keep the iWorks suite inferior to the Office suite as long as Microsoft continues to develop Office for the Mac and now, apparently, for iOS devices. Although Microsoft is stepping on Apple's toes with the new Surface, Apple must believe that is has more to gain from keeping Office on the Mac than from selling a robust iWorks.

NN2910

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
Netherlands (NL)
Hmm, makes sense what I've read on this forum about iWork: Apple probably won't release a 'new iWork' or 'iWork 2013/2014' because it is just called Pages now (and Keynote and Numbers). And they will keep updating the programs like any other app in the AppStore.

I have a new MacBook Pro Retina 13" at this moment (sooo happy with this thing btw!) and I am writing my master thesis; so I will be graduating this year and after this I probably won't need anything like Office or iWork that much like my whole study career. But at this moment I need to make a decision; buy MS Office (for my god €140! :eek:) while I only need Word, or buy Pages (for only €18) which I've never used in my life :confused:.

I need this program mainly to write my thesis on. And I've always liked to type some letters to friends and family and Pages seems pretty nice for that. The only thing that stood in my way from buying Pages is that I know it is 'Pages 2009' :( and I am kind of waiting for 'the new version' coming out. I know, that sounds very stupid, because I need it NOW. But I already felt a little stab in the back when Apple just drops the price of my new precious rMBP (with €250!) after I bought it for 5 weeks. And I thought this won't happen to me again :D..

Anyway came across this thread while searching for answers about 'the new iWork' and wanted to share my thoughts..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.