Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XMizer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
What are benefits of making a partition on a hard drive for Mac? If I'm not mistaken, even if the hard drive is partitioned to ntfs for fat32, it can still be used on Mac OS X. Am I right?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
What are benefits of making a partition on a hard drive for Mac? If I'm not mistaken, even if the hard drive is partitioned to ntfs for fat32, it can still be used on Mac OS X. Am I right?

People partition a drive if they want multiple operating systems on the drive (i.e. OS X and Windows). OS X can read FAT32 but not NTFS (at least not easily).

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
If my memory works.....

NTFS can be only read natively in OS X, but can we written with added software. FAT32 can be read/written. Maybe anyone can weight in?

:):apple:

Vairamuthu

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
Joburg
thanks.

what kind of software can i use to write NTFS?

Try

• NTFS-3G (Free)
  • Paragon NTFS (+- 20$)

NTFS-3G does not work fully in Lion and Mountain Lion. you will still get mounting errors every time your computer boots. To fix these errors, you'll have to install this patch for NTFS-3G.

Paragon NTFS is a paid app that enables writing to NTFS drives on Mac OS X Lion and Mountain Lion.
I am using Paragon NTFS and it work's seamless with my NTFS formatted external drive like in Windows 7.

Vairam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.