Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
I'm not a developer and I got an invite. I thought it was weird because the email referred to me as being part of the developer program, but when I logged in to check I saw that I wasn't... not even a free account.

So... I don't think the reports are inaccurate. I would assume if I got one, there were others like me.

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Years back I tried the old iwork.com online service, pretty nice but limited to online sharing and commenting, i e no editing capabilities. Would be really nice indeed if they manage to incorporate full cross platform editing support.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Instead of posting why you don't like it on this forum you could, I dunno, press the feedback button in the web app and tell them so they can make it better?

Love how everyone is complaining that the FIRST BETA release isn't any better then a Google Docs that has been out for how many years now? :rolleyes:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is not a proper answer to the question.

Then what is the proper answer to the question?

It looks good, I'm not sure I want to rely on any cloud service for things like this, but it runs well for a beta ... so far.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Yes, me and some friends left iCloud

Ha ha. Roll up roll up come and store your cloud data with Uncle Sam so we can snoop on all your secrets. I don't think so. At least the NSA can't hack into my portable flash drive while it's sitting in my pocket.

A flop, really?

Apple already offers iCould, a service that uses far more personal information than iWork, in Europe. If your statement is true, then there should be a mass exodus from iCloud. Please post evidence that supports your claim.

Or, were you just making things up from the get go?

There won´t be a mass exodus cause cloud in general had been somehow a nice idea IMHO but maybe lots of folks will start enhancing Mail with PGPtools.org (never knowing wether Apple's new keychain (enhanced in Mavericks) is NSA-read everytime it changes). It is too early to assess this accurately.

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
I do have a developer account but iWork for iCloud beta is working on my personal non-developer original @me.com account.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
Then what is the proper answer to the question?
Given that the OQ was "Is iWork for iCloud supposed to actually be an upgrade from iWork 09, or just a new, web-based alternative?", then I would say that a proper answer would be 'upgrade'/'alternative', with an explanation as to why. Saying that it's like Google Docs assumes that the OP (or other interested party) gives a **** about Google and its Docs.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Agree with Truffy. I can't stand google docs, and had to move a lot of businesses off it (I am in IT) because it was annoying to use a browser to do work. Everyone went back to Office, and never been happier. I would roll out more macs, if only pages & numbers had native support. A lot of users cannot stand the bugginess of MS Office for Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.