Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheChallinor

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Does the Notes.app now allow you to search within a note? Some of my notes are rather long and it's a pain that I have to "share" it to Mail.app in order to have a Search/Find function within the note.

Yes you can, but I'm 99% sure this was also possible in Mountain Lion and Lion

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
All of these "goodness" and STILL no Enabling the user to launch Safari in "private browsing"..

Unbelievable ........ and while there is apps out there now, or scripts that can do that, why should you have to do something, Apple knows how to do, and should ?

They've done it on iOS, so why not Mac ?

This is why I prefer Firefox :) They do it right.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
All of these "goodness" and STILL no Enabling the user to launch Safari in "private browsing"..

Unbelievable ........ and while there is apps out there now, or scripts that can do that, why should you have to do something, Apple knows how to do, and should ?

They've done it on iOS, so why not Mac ?

This is why I prefer Firefox :) They do it right.

OK, I'll bite. You mean this? It's only been in there for a few years. But stick with slow old Firefox if you like.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 09.23.15.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 09.23.15.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 62

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
OK, I'll bite. You mean this? It's only been in there for a few years. But stick with slow old Firefox if you like.

He's talking about LAUNCHING Safari in private browsing. I assume if you select private browsing from the menu, it resets every time you quit Safari.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
He's talking about LAUNCHING Safari in private browsing. I assume if you select private browsing from the menu, it resets every time you quit Safari.

I know. Is it really that hard to click that each time? It's not like you want it to keep your tabs open when you reopen it—since that's the whole point.

And honestly, if you need to make all of your transmissions private, why not invest in a proxy server?

muncyweb

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2007
LOVE the power features. Tired of hearing about music and gaming apps. Keep it coming.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Yes.... Its good to know someone's paying attention here . :).

Last edited:

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
You could sense in the keynote and even see it in Tims face.. Apple is definitely going full force and I couldnt help but smile for for most part..

A little confession
I even clapped when I saw the iOS 7 vid even though I was home alone

I still love Phil's comment. "Can't innovate anymore my ass!" LOL That was awesome. :D

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
All great features except for "added another social network no one wanted integrated into OS X". I can't figure out if these companies are paying Apple a lot of money to get included, or if Apple genuinely thinks people want this **** in their operating system. The worst part is it's not even open, just whatever third-party services Apple happens to bless.

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
Well done! Quick question, if you tag a file with the iCloud tag, which happens to be in your local documents folder, will it automatically sync that file up to iCloud in the respective application?

There will be an iCloud folder in the finder just like dropbox. It just didn't make it into this build of Mavericks. So you'll just drag your file onto iCloud folder in the sidebar, and yes you can view iCloud files in your normal finder.

You could create a rule so anything tagged something has an action happen :)

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
There will be an iCloud folder in the finder just like dropbox. It just didn't make it into this build of Mavericks. So you'll just drag your file onto iCloud folder in the sidebar, and yes you can view iCloud files in your normal finder.

You could create a rule so anything tagged something has an action happen :)

I'd love for this to happen. Do you know where you heard of this? Is there a reliable source or is this just speculation at this point?

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
The power improvements look great. The Skeuomorphism is neither here nor there. Most of all we need legacy support for older machines, they should be able to go back further than 2007. Dumping support for older hardware is very ungreen of Apple.

More importantly I want to see legacy software support. I would upgrade all of our old hardware if Apple would support the old software that runs on those old machines to run on the new OS. We need legacy support to access our data. The past doesn't disappear just because Apple brings out a new OS. Legacy support into the future is critical. Support for Classic/68K/PPC would bring a lot of users of old hardware up to the new hardware and OS.

The other thing is Apple should just merge OSX and iOS. We should be able to run our apps and use our data no matter what hardware it is.

You've piqued my interest. What sort of PowerPC apps (I can think of some) do you still use... and what 68k apps? (I admit to being a bit nonplussed, although pleasantly so.)

What sort of legacy hardware are you running them on? G4s, or beige G3s/ older Power Macs? Or just Rosetta? I realize SheepShaver doesn't really cut it.

I suppose you're right about iOS and OS X insofar as running cross-platform-- or, at least running iOS apps on OS X; Macs certainly have the muscle to emulate ARM code, although I'm not sure the same could be said for the other way around-- and (I imagine) building more than just an emulator would consume considerable (human) resources.

----------

Anyone find it yet?

I'm still searching for the iDisk folder!

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Panic's Transmit icon gets ripped off a lot, but I've never seen anything else in the menubar. It's Transmit for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.