Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punter33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Tonight I purchased an ATT iPhone 5 for $649. I believe it was purchased as Device Only though I did not see the sales person pick the device only on the handheld unit. My receipt shows No Wireless Service Activation during iPhone sale.

The problem I am having is that when I connect the iPhone to Itunes I do not ever get the Congratulations your iPhone has been unlocked screen. Leaving the ATT sim in the phone it just constantly shows No Service, which I do not have. However I bought this phone so I could use it on Tmobile. When I put in my nano Tmobile sim and restart the phone it just shows activation required on the phone and in itunes it says I need to put in a valid sim card. When I put the ATT sim card back in, there is no activation happening. So I have no clue what the problem is or how to unlock this full priced ATT iPhone to use with Tmobile.

Did the apple sales guy screw up something when he sold me the phone?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Tonight I purchased an ATT iPhone 5 for $649. I believe it was purchased as Device Only though I did not see the sales person pick the device only on the handheld unit. My receipt shows No Wireless Service Activation during iPhone sale.

The problem I am having is that when I connect the iPhone to Itunes I do not ever get the Congratulations your iPhone has been unlocked screen. Leaving the ATT sim in the phone it just constantly shows No Service, which I do not have. However I bought this phone so I could use it on Tmobile. When I put in my nano Tmobile sim and restart the phone it just shows activation required on the phone and in itunes it says I need to put in a valid sim card. When I put the ATT sim card back in, there is no activation happening. So I have no clue what the problem is or how to unlock this full priced ATT iPhone to use with Tmobile.

Did the apple sales guy screw up something when he sold me the phone?

Any help would be appreciated.

Take sim out, reset your iPhone in iTunes, put sim back in. Restore iPhone in iTunes. You should get a message that your iPhone is unlocked.

Good luck.

punter33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Maybe the activation is delayed? Try again now.

I ended up buying an unlock from unlock_fusion last night, even though entering my IMEI # on their ebay auction site already showed that my device was unlocked, and tried again this morning to restore it to see if it would unlock and it did. Don't know if it was actually unlock_fusion that worked or if it was just a delay in the activation server last night. Either way it is working now.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I ended up buying an unlock from unlock_fusion last night, even though entering my IMEI # on their ebay auction site already showed that my device was unlocked, and tried again this morning to restore it to see if it would unlock and it did. Don't know if it was actually unlock_fusion that worked or if it was just a delay in the activation server last night. Either way it is working now.

How much was the unlock? Sucks that you had to pay extra for the unlock when it should have already been unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.