Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I'm still up in the air about the mini but I spent some time comparing it to the 4 at the Apple store and was surprised with how good the screen looks. After reading all the reviews I expected it to look terrible but I was impressed. It was not as good as the 4 but it wasn't nearly as pixilated as the iPad 2. Other than text it was pretty hard to see a lot of differences. I have a 3 now so I have to decide if I want to wait for the iPad 5 or the Mini 2.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I've had a 32GB black mini, from launch and I love it. There was one small defect I noticed in the screen, but I took it to an Apple store and they replaced it for me. The new one is pristine and I'm even happier. Just wish there were better cases available for it...

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I love my mini. It arrived this morning and can't put it down.

The screen display is absolutely fine for me. However it has given me an appreciation for how good the retina display actually is.

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
I have an iPad Mini 32GB white since two days. Although I love the form factor and the design, I still can't wrap my head around the screen.

I purchases this iPad Mini with having in mind the screen would be just fine and I didn't pay attention to all this hate regarding the screen.

But I have to admit I still find it hard to not pay attention to the fuzzyness of text in, for example, safari. I do a lot of browsing on this iPad and the MacRumors forums just don't look ok. I feel myself constantly zooming in.
In games and other apps it's ok.

But I do not agree with people saying it is not noticeable or easy to come by. Trust me, I'm a big Apple customer and Apple Genius currently residing in another country (student) and therefore not working for 6 months.

It could be because I have an Retina iPad 3, iPhone 5 and retina MacBook Pro. I also feel the screen is quite a bit warm/ yellowish compared to the other devices listed.

As I only use my iPad in bed mostly or as a quick grab and go machine when I'm out and about, I intend to keep the iPad. Therefore, also sell the iPad 3 as is does not see any use.

I love the device and I will have to deal with loads of them in two months or so at work again, but the screen is hard to come by when used to retina. Sorry, it just is.

Therefore, I can't wait for the next gen (retina presumably) version. I will keep my iPad Mini and sell the other. Time will tell if this will keep bugging me.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I love mine.

I have had the original iPad, iPad 2 and 3. (Still have the 2 and 3). When the mini was announced, I thought, "No way am I going to get that."

I read more and more, and decided to check it out. It's the perfect size for watching movies on the treadmill at the gym.

I have not looked back once after finally tracking down a mini (64GB) in my area. Love the size. Love the screen.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
I dont own the other versions of the iPads but I love my mini. The lack of Retina Display is something I knew before I purchased it and so far it hasnt been a turnoff at all. I bought the mini because I didnt want to carry a larger/heavier iPad with me to school/in the car/etc.

To provide further detail into screen resolution I have viewed quite a few magazines and one book that I had downloaded from the bookstore and the pages still looked great. Again, nothing noticeable for me.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I understand it cost $180(around that number) to produce the ipad mini.. But at this price, I don't want to get one for myself.

Usually, people come to me for advise on these things. I don't recommend people getting ipad mini. I recommend cheaper tablet... If it had retina display? def yes. But at what it is, I cannot.. Person who wants to use tablet for possible reading device/browser and occasional movie viewing or slingbox viewing, I cannot justify the cost difference.

jamesschmidtke

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
I want one bad, went to the apple store and fell in love with it. I'm waiting for the cellular, not quite sure if I want to go wifi only. love, love love the device

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Download Mercury browser to fix the small font issue. It's free.

When I first bought into 'apps' with my iPhone 3, I bought up a dozen different browsers...over the past two years, all I've used is iCab specifically because I could set up gestures to size up my font...both on my iPhone and iPad. Thanks for the reminder on Mercury. I'd purchased the 'pro' version in that initial browser binge...but I'd not used any other after getting used to iCab

I understand it cost $180(around that number) to produce the ipad mini.. But at this price, I don't want to get one for myself.

Usually, people come to me for advise on these things. I don't recommend people getting ipad mini. I recommend cheaper tablet... If it had retina display? def yes. But at what it is, I cannot.. Person who wants to use tablet for possible reading device/browser and occasional movie viewing or slingbox viewing, I cannot justify the cost difference.

Your advice shouldn't be based solely on what you want when advising others...many factors should come into play...the usage needs, whether or not one has invested in iTunes (apps/music/video/books et al.), they're 'savvy-ness' when it comes to using said device, support, etc.

Just because you don't believe the price is justified shouldn't bias your advice to others looking for their 'best' experience;)

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
No time for love Dr. Jones...

If you bring 2 minis together theA5 chips inside begin to glow.

----------

I've had a 32GB black mini, from launch and I love it. There was one small defect I noticed in the screen, but I took it to an Apple store and they replaced it for me. The new one is pristine and I'm even happier. Just wish there were better cases available for it...

Oh God yes. I need a decent case. Nothing but overpriced crap for cases right now. I think I'd be happy with a decent matte screen protector and a sleeve at this point.

The mini is great though. Traded my 16gb for a 32 gb today.

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
By the way, if you want an easy way to change the font size on web pages without switching to a different browser, there's a guide here on how to make a bookmarklet for "Font+" and "Font-" to easily change the size of text on web pages:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57433957-285/change-the-font-size-of-a-web-page-on-ios/

Thanks so much for this information. I love my mini but safari's fonts were kind of small and I prefer safari over other browsers. The fonts being to small weren't a problem with a lot of website but websites like macrumors forum were to small.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Enjoying mine as well. I got it launch. The display only bites because of previous ipad(3), rMBP and iPhone 5. It's a bit jarring to see the pixels back again.

Having a little more ram would be nice for browsing too. I miss being able to from tab to tab without the pages constantly refreshing.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The screen is my biggest con. I wouldn't say it's horrible but it's most certainly not great. Whenever I end up upgrading it will be to a "retina" screen or nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.