Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guyjol

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
With all the multi gestures on the Ipad I was wondering why would Apple keep the home button on it? It seems like removing it could allow for a bigger screen or a smaller bezel.

What do you guys think?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i prefer physical button. How do you suppose to wake up the screen with just one power button for like a year of use then it would have broken already.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'm all for losing the Home button but Apple likes to devices for simplicity. People who are not used to electronic devices tend to want to press something that will take them back to the point where the devices booted up. The Home button represents that.

I personally use multi gesttures as well as the on screen Home button. I have no problems giving up the Home button but then again i'm an electronics gadget whore.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
With all the multi gestures on the Ipad I was wondering why would Apple keep the home button on it? It seems like removing it could allow for a bigger screen or a smaller bezel.

What do you guys think?

I agree but understand why the home button is still necessary in many circumstances. Many times I found my students switching between apps accidentally so I turned off gestures and they know to use the home button without me telling them... It works well so I have no problem with it remaining... I'll keep using the gestures however...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

What do you guys think?
Actually I think since the iPhone and iPod touch doesn't have all the gestures that the iPad has, keeping the Home button on the iPad makes sense so that the extra gestures are an added feature on the iPad and not a required feature.

And truthfully, I think losing the Home button on the iPad could cause issues in some cases. Think about an older person who may not be able to handle some of the gestures properly.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I like having the home button, but if they can make the iPad with a smaller bezel, I wouldnt mind giving it up (by smaller I mean like the same size as the sides of the iPad mini).

----------

Actually I think since the iPhone and iPod touch doesn't have all the gestures that the iPad has, keeping the Home button on the iPad makes sense so that the extra gestures are an added feature on the iPad and not a required feature.

And truthfully, I think losing the Home button on the iPad could cause issues in some cases. Think about an older person who may not be able to handle some of the gestures properly.

But we are talking about ipad only :p What the OP is saying is since the iPad has gestures, should the new iPad get rid of the home button for the iPad only. But I agree, I dont think they will unless they can do it to the entire iOS line. I definitely see a button-less iDevice in the future for Apple, but not for a few years at least. They will probably go with gestures for the iPad use, and probably some kind of sensor like the GS4 to wake the screen and unlock the device. And apple doesnt really concern themselves with old-case compatibility, it wont keep them from making physical changes from the device. The iPad 5 will definitely be a different form factor than the 3 and 4, so as it is, people need new cases anyway.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
It's bad for accessibility, which Apple have a very good record on, and assume they would not want to lose.
I find that gestures so often lead to my iPad doing something I did not want it to do, that I never have them turned on anymore.
For me as a move it would be form over function. The home button is useful.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Apple's recessed button is fine, and I sometimes use it, and sometimes don't. If it were a raised button such as the one on the Samsung Note tablets I owned, I wouldn't miss it for a second. It adds a bit redundancy, and that's often a good feature. I can wake my screen with two buttons, or a Smart Cover. Not bad....

devilofspades

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011

What do you guys think?

there are too many circumstances that require a tactile "home" button. having just a "lock" button alone is not enough. most situations call for using the home & lock buttons in tandem. some of these are taking screen-shots, hard resetting of the device, restore mode, etc. i don't think these would be possible via "software" as some of these options are used in case the software is not functioning properly in one form or another.

as nice as gestures are, the quickest and simplest "gesture" is a "press" or "press & hold". we all know how apple is on making things as minimal and efficient as possible. needing to unlock the device to apply more gestures adds to inefficiencies that apple would cringe at, hence all the new lock screen features...

Last edited:

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Well we don't really know anything about the new generation iPads, so for all we know they may in fact remove it, but I doubt it.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
A physical home button can be quite useful, sometimes when jestures aren't working properly. I think it also adds a cool look to the iPad.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Having used the nexus 7 vs the ipad and mini, I much prefer having the home button. Sure, gestures, but those aren't for everybody.

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
I love the Home Button. Having the square illuminated would be the only change I would like to see.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I like having the home button, but if they can make the iPad with a smaller bezel, I wouldnt mind giving it up (by smaller I mean like the same size as the sides of the iPad mini).

Not sure how much it effects the size of the device. Apple does not add over an inch to the bottom of the ipad merely to accomodate a single button. That space is also used for components and battery.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I prefer the home button to multitouch gestures. It might be because I have muscle control problems, but I find that positioning my fingers for the multitouch gestures and performing them takes longer than pressing the home button. I'm sure other people with motor control issues might also feel the same way.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Not sure how much it effects the size of the device. Apple does not add over an inch to the bottom of the ipad merely to accomodate a single button. That space is also used for components and battery.

Im just saying, if its a step toward a true edge to edge display, I wouldnt mind not having a home button :p

I just realized how much space is actually there, so let me rephrase: if they can make the bottom edge as thin as the iPhone 5 side edge, I wouldnt mind giving up the home button :p

guyjol

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
How about a home button on the side so we could get edge to edge screen? When we hold an ipad its usually from the side of the device. It would be easier to access and would allow for edge to edge screen.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
why is everyone so obsessed with tiny bezels. Yes it looks good, but you wanna be able to hold your tablet without touching the screen don´t you?

I love the Home Button. Having the square illuminated would be the only change I would like to see.

This, I have dreamt about an illuminated square on the home button for a long time. The notification light is the only thing I really miss from my android.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Not everyone uses gestures. Never just assume that your preferences are universal no matter what the topic.

It seems like removing it could allow for a bigger screen or a smaller bezel.
Are you sure that the home button is the limiting factor?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It's bad for accessibility, which Apple have a very good record on, and assume they would not want to lose.

I suspect this is a major reason. Almost all other uses could be moved to another button but it wouldn't be as accessible

That said, perhaps the button doesn't need to be as big or stay a circle. There might be another form that would also work. Maybe even something that doesn't get destroyed over time and/or would be replaceable in a module device rather than having to swap the whole thing (don't enjoy the idea of restoring etc with every issue)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
For future reference.

Keeping the home button is what Apple need to do until they remove the home button.
Upon seeing sample images from 3rd party sources many will dismiss this and say they should keep the home button as these are fakes.
As more images appear this hatred towards the home button not being seen on the cases will start to soften and continue to as more images appear, and it looks like they are genuine views of the forthcoming product.

Upon launch and Apple explaining the improvements to be had from the home button not being there, there will be much talk and approval of how good it is to finally lose that home button and how much enhanced the new design is.

Other brands will then be mocked for having buttons on the face still.

I think that's a pretty accurate explanation of the future. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.