Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VKB

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
identifying Duplicates

I find it amazing (~ly disappointing) that Aperture doesn't identify duplicates. Even the simplest built-in programs identify dups, it's like downloading Excel and finding it doesn't divide.

Having to download another program to cope with the shortcomings of the so-called ultimate program you just downloaded is ridiculous. Come on Aperture, just fix it!

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I find it amazing (~ly disappointing) that Aperture doesn't identify duplicates. Even the simplest built-in programs identify dups, it's like downloading Excel and finding it doesn't divide.

Having to download another program to cope with the shortcomings of the so-called ultimate program you just downloaded is ridiculous. Come on Aperture, just fix it!

Just another example of how Aperture is severely outdated, despite it gets frequent updates.

Zeiss

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
Australia
Aperture has 2 major flaws - it doesn't use dng profiles and it doesn't have database lens corrections. These 2 reasons were enough for me to switch to Lr4 and now 5...

Maybe A4 will bring this in, but I ain't going back. Pro photographers use Lr5 for these reasons.

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
Pro photographers use Lr5 for these reasons.

Sorry, no offence, but this is a ridiculous thing to say. It may be true that YOU use Lr5 for these reasons, but any pro worth his salt will use the right tool for the job. For some this might be Lightroom, for others maybe Aperture, and for others still it might be something completely different.

Be under no illusion - Lightroom is aimed squarely at AMATEURS, not professionals (so is Aperture, I'm not taking sides here). You've got to remember that professionals make up a tiny percentage of the photography market. If Adobe or Apple really did make a programme designed specifically for professionals, nobody would buy it.

They're not making the software so the planet's standard of photography goes up - they're doing it to make money. And the real money is in the amateurs / enthusiats / general public, because they make up 99.9% of the photographic community.

Both tools are good, but both are also extremely limited.

All the best.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City

Aperture identifies duplicates prior to importing, not after you've imported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.