Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I should be getting my new M4 on Monday. Looking forward to joining your discussion! :)

That's great ... were you able to return your questionable one for a refund?

Hope the new one is a more pleasant experience, and please post the results of your upgrade here.

-howard

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas

Hope the new one is a more pleasant experience, and please post the results of your upgrade here.

-howard

Yep, just sent it out on Friday so I should be getting a full refund soon.

Also, do I need a Windows computer to update the FW on the M4? I don't run parallels or anything on this machine. So I don't have any way of getting the new FW on this SSD.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Yep, just sent it out on Friday so I should be getting a full refund soon.

Also, do I need a Windows computer to update the FW on the M4? I don't run parallels or anything on this machine. So I don't have any way of getting the new FW on this SSD.

The firmware comes as a dedicated .iso file containing the specific update file which you can run on your Mac. It needs to be burned to a CD with Disk Utility and then becomes a bootable Linux OS which then auto-runs the Crucial updater program. It will find your SSD and then update the firmware (nondestructively to your data contained on the SSD).

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
The firmware comes as a dedicated .iso file containing the specific update file which you can run on your Mac. It needs to be burned to a CD with Disk Utility and then becomes a bootable Linux OS which then auto-runs the Crucial updater program. It will find your SSD and then update the firmware (nondestructively to your data contained on the SSD).

Thanks. Doesn't sound too hard. I got my M4 installed and its currently running the Rev. 309. I suppose if I run into issues I may update it but so far no issues.

And finally, I'm getting 3 gb/s! It's not out of this world numbers like you guys on Sata III but this will do. Way better than what I was getting last week!

I think I may purchase another M4 and plug it into the ODD and run a Raid 0 setup. :)

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    741 KB · Views: 65

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas

-howard

Also, are you enabling TRIM in any of your setups?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Also, are you enabling TRIM in any of your setups?

I don't know if it is really necessary ... but yes, I did enable TRIM.

Crucial and OWC claim their built in "garbage collection" is adequate and no TRIM is needed ... but it doesn't seem to hurt either. :cool:

Your DiskSpeedTest results look pretty normal for the M4 on SATA-II. Congratulations!

-howard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.