Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Globalksp
macrumors newbie

Repair Toolkits

I'll be doing a couple of SSD swaps come January and I've been researching toolkits that specifically contain those bits and drivers needed for working on Apple laptops and desktops.

OWC was my first stop, but, after reading reviews about their two most popular kits (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ng/TOOLKITMHD/ http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...ogy/TOOLKIT11/)

it seems that the T6 doesn't fit. There are a myriad of other, non-Apple specific kits on Amazon, all with mixed reviews.

I'm looking for tools that are quality made (the tool itself won't disfigure) but like the idea of a kit.

At this point I'm thinking of going with the Newer technology kit listed above and buying another T6.

Granted this is a small issue that I probably shouldn't be wasting time on, but... oh well. Quality comes first.

What do you use? Like? Disklike?

Cheers.
Globalksp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:17 PM   #2
monokakata
macrumors 65816

I've been using the NewerTech kit for two or three years. I've opened up and worked on iMacs, Macbook Pros, and Macbooks, probably 10-12 times in total.

The tools have never let me down, but all tools like Torx drivers and Philips-head screwdrivers do wear down eventually. If I can get another couple of year's worth of openings and repairs from my kit, I'll be satisfied. At that point my cost for the tool kit will be probably a buck per job. It's hard to beat that.

Think of it like this. A quality screwdriver such as a Klein is going to cost you maybe $10 -- so for the price of this kit, you could only get a couple of Kleins (or equivalent).
monokakata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Globalksp
macrumors newbie

Thanks Monokakata.

You've had no fit issues with the Torx heads?
Globalksp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
monokakata
macrumors 65816

No issues.
monokakata is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Tags
tools