Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

nekonari

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Washington, DC
TB1 already is faster than SATA III.

TB prices will probably never go down to the point of being as cheap as SATA. Heck, just look at the price of cables, much less the price of devices themselves. And TB is intended as an external standard, they could potentially do an internal version but that doesn't seem likely at this point.

What a product is intended for doesn't really matter. If it's viable or better alternative, then why not?? Wonder how much faster it'll be..

naurmel

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2004
What is it for?

This stick is a kind of "just one minute Jack"-Stick. With the right software on it you are able to copy the whole RAM and Parts of the users home directories. In seconds. That is the reason why it is Thunderbolt.
And why do we see this stick now? Maybe Intel has closed this door with the last firmware update.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
The big question is what kind of flash is being used - if the flash is just the cheap low end slow variety then it really won't matter how much bandwidth is piped to the device if the bottleneck is the chip itself. IMHO although flash is a great technology now I'm more interested in the future technologies that are coming down the pipe which don't have the limitations of flash such as the limited number of writes, the cost relative to the size when compared to traditional rotating media etc. For me I've used flash in the past (on a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon) and don't get me wrong it was great in terms of responsiveness but I always felt as though the promise of flash has been greatly overhyped when it came to speed when compared the downsides.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Its pointless because you could buy a universally usable USB drive for a fraction the price, or , get a proper external Thunderbolt SSD if you want performance

Maybe it's not the best choice for some uses, but that doesn't make it pointless. And while we all assume it would be expensive, at this point we don't know specifics. If it's somewhat more expensive and somewhat faster, it just depends what those specific numbers are and what it's worth to a user.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
No. A Thunderbolt display can be at any point in the chain (so long as it has a pass-thru port). For proof of this, just look at Apple's current display.

A DisplayPort or mini DisplayPort display has to be the last in the chain. (Because it doesn't have a Thunderbolt pass-thru.)

ahh, that makes WAY more sense than how i was reading it..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.