Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oioiLe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Did not know the unlocked iphone 5 coming out today.

I ordered verizon $199 iphone 5 from Apple store ONLINE days ago and it is prepared for shipment right now so I cannot cancel the order.

Can I bring the sealed/unopened iphone 5 to Apple Store and request to pay full price in store? So that my verizon ip5 could be activated with any SIM card in the world...:confused:

----------

I did not have activated verizon account.

I just created a verizon account, randomly chose a $80/mo plan in order to order the ip5 from Apple store online. I don't want to activate it with Verizon at all.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

I ordered verizon $199 iphone 5 from Apple store ONLINE days ago and it is prepared for shipment right now so I cannot cancel the order.

Can I bring the sealed/unopened iphone 5 to Apple Store and request to pay full price in store? So that my verizon ip5 could be activated with any SIM card in the world...:confused:

----------

I did not have activated verizon account.

I just created a verizon account, randomly chose a $80/mo plan in order to order the ip5 from Apple store online. I don't want to activate it with Verizon at all.

You have 30 days to return your phone. So yes you can return it. However, since you added the plan already and paid subsidized price you will either have to get Apple or Verizon to cancel that plan, and then you will get another phone at full price. ETF with Verizon is $350.

oioiLe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
You have 30 days to return your phone. So yes you can return it. However, since you added the plan already and paid subsidized price you will either have to get Apple or Verizon to cancel that plan, and then you will get another phone at full price. ETF with Verizon is $350.

Dose it depend on that Apple/Verizon store has iphone 5 in stock when I go in?

I don't want to return it and wait for another 1week to get one.
Do you mean, I can pay 199+350 to get an unlocked iPhone????:eek:

thanks!

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Dose it depend on that Apple/Verizon store has iphone 5 in stock when I go in?

I don't want to return it and wait for another 1week to get one.
Do you mean, I can pay 199+350 to get an unlocked iPhone????:eek:

thanks!

They will also charge you for 1 month service. So $199 + $350 +$100. About the same price as paying full. You will be able to get out of contract if the Apple rep knows how, since you never did activate phone. With Verizon, I believe you can cancel contract within first 14 days without penalty.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Keep in mind:

From http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone5
The unlocked iPhone only works on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card for iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S or a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5 from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint. Limit two per customer.

Also:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/21/verizon-iphone-5-confirmed-to-be-unlocked-on-gsm-3g-networks/
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/2...s-required-by-fcc-network-access-regulations/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.