Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veryrandomtask

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Hi,
I wonder if anyone could help. I have a Macbook (OSX 10.6.8) and a WD My World Book NAS drive. I also run an iPad and iPhone. What I would like to do is set up a VPN which would allow me access to the NAS drive where I store my music and films whilst the computer is off. I currently use the PlugPlayer app on my iPhone & iPad to do this for the music, but at the moment can only use that to get to the NAS drive whilst on my home wifi connection.

Is this possible, or is it wishful thinking? If anyone could recommend any software to do this (preferably free!) I'd be very grateful.

Thanks very much!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
You would need to get a router with a built-in VPN server. Not free, and probably not cheap as this is typically a business-class feature. Do a Google search and you should find some models.

Somewhat more expensive would be to run a server computer (Linux if you want to get down to the nuts and bolts or OS X server on an old Mac otherwise). At that point you would not need the NAS as the server would offer the file sharing services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.