Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I'm definitely going for the 8gb of ram, also thinking about the 512gb storage option, it's $500 for the top 13".

What do you guys think, is it really too expensive? Shall i just go for the 256gb and an external USB3 drive?

I sold my macbookpro and the 500gb storage was really convinient, would love to have the same capacity on my future Air but it is so expensive and so tempting at the same time :(

I bought the 512 but I also got the educational discount which helps a little. For me my Mac air is my only computer no desktop or iPad to fall back off. I have an external for backups and I enjoy movies and pictures. I don't like depending on cloud data storage too much and that will only get you so much.

Overall having this computer for the next 4 years was my main goal and my previous macbook was at already 250 GB USED! What's the point of having a thin air if you have to lug around an external hard drive? defeats the purpose to me!

Boxjump

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2016
Richmond, VA
I'm definitely going for the 8gb of ram, also thinking about the 512gb storage option, it's $500 for the top 13".

What do you guys think, is it really too expensive? Shall i just go for the 256gb and an external USB3 drive?

I sold my macbookpro and the 500gb storage was really convinient, would love to have the same capacity on my future Air but it is so expensive and so tempting at the same time :(
I bought MacBook Pro with that drive. Their top tier version. 16 gb ram. Love love love it.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA

I'd be curious to know the chipset used in Apple's branded SSD, but in most cases Apple's upcharge for the SSD component isn't much compared to off-the-shelf-at-Newegg items. Of course, Apple disables TRIM and other protections from drives the OS doesn't recognize as being Apple-branded so one is stuck with paying more, or using warranty-voiding cheats to get the same off-the-shelf freedom Apple enjoys (but won't always pass down to you, the paying customer.)

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
$800+ for 512GD SSD

Nice analysis. Yes, $800+ for a 512GB SSD seems like a tremendous rip-off when 2.5" 512 GB SSDs can be had for less than half the price!! This is the kind of thing that earns Apple the reputation of being severely over-priced.

Even though the Air SSD is a custom design, they are mass producing these things in large quantities, so it doesn't seem like there should be THAT much of a premium. :mad:

Not necessarily. What's the SSD's processing chipset? And make of the flash ROM chips that actually store the data? If it's high end then it's a deal. If it's low-end, then one is being fleeced. Until we know these details, it's hard to say. I'd guess they're using something that's good enough to last the requisite 100,000 writes...

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Transcend 512 GB SSD Drive on Amazon for $159, buy an enclosure for it with USB 3.0, you're set. Now you have 768 GB of SSD Storage accessible.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I opted for the 512 as I keep a lot of VMs on my MBA, as well as a bunch of media. It's currently got 103 gig free.

If you feel you can get by with less, then a fast external option is a great idea if and when you need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.