Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
Hi there!

Currently I have this setup (as seen from Windows 7):
- BOOTCAMP (C: ): 54,4 GB free of 150 GB [NTFS]
- Macintosh HD (E: ): 41,1 GB free of 129 GB [HFS]
- Media (F: ): 278 GB free if 651 GB [exFAT]

I would like to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro...
What is the best way to do so?

A) Go to Mac OS X and format BootCamp drive with Windows 7 and create a new BootCamp drive with Windows 8?

B) Try to upgrade from within Windows 7? Is this even possible with my setup?
Is it wise to keep the Windows 7 OS as a backup? Or just format it and reinstall Windows 8 instead?

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
Is there anyone who has already done a successful upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 (Pro)? What are the most important pitfalls?

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Is there anyone who has already done a successful upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 (Pro)? What are the most important pitfalls?
Drivers were my problem. Track pad was a hassle, microphones didn't work and the bootcamp tray app wouldn't run. I went back to a perfectly running 7.

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
but what method did you use?
I assume that if use you have installed Windows 7 through Boot Camp the proper way, you'll already have all the required drivers...

and how could you go back to Windows 7 again?

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
but what method did you use?
I assume that if use you have installed Windows 7 through Boot Camp the proper way, you'll already have all the required drivers...

and how could you go back to Windows 7 again?

Yes but the drivers didn't work, yes I did an upgrade install of 8.

Going back I just had to clean install.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
FWIW I've been enjoying W8 on my generic PC desktop, but have been avoiding it on BootCamp on the Mac because the whole partition thing has gotten ugly. Both W8 and Lion/Mountain Lion want to create restore partitions which coupled with the EFI partition mean that a default install of W8 on 10.8 would ideally want 5 partition on the HDD.

In your case with an extra media partition it's even uglier. I haven't spent any time trying to figure out or research how well W8 works with GPT disks under the Boot Camp assumptions.

I've had enough problems even on the PC with strange behavior and having to clean reinstall twice now that I am keeping it off my Macs. So far.

Hopefully Apple will revise Boot Camp to officially support W8 before the $40 upgrade deal expires so I can pick W8 up cheapish for my Macs.

B

Maxi86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
In your case with an extra media partition it's even uglier. I haven't spent any time trying to figure out or research how well W8 works with GPT disks under the Boot Camp assumptions.

Thanks B, for your experiences with W8.
In that case, I think it's wise not to jump ship yet. Since W7 works just fine as it is, I don't wanna take any risks. Let's wait some more and see how long it takes before an official support from Apple arrives.

Please keep me updated if you have new insights!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.