Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EoghanCase

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
I've owned my Solo HD's for about a month now, and I've never had a problem. The sound quality is fairly good, a nice all rounder. They are also a really nice looking pair of headphones, which I agree, is the reason they are overpriced, but you don't feel stupid wearing them. The metal band makes them feel extremely strong, and they've survived a 6ft drop onto uneven cobbles. I say go for it.

Seiman

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
I haven't read many of other comments on this topic but here is some info:

Solo:
The music quality is bad to say it mild, they break easy and they dosn't come up for the most fancy of the solos depending on black or white the ONLY TWO COLOURS possible to get from bestbuy, i have tried the solos and the HD but for me i ended up whit the studios, the solos are great for students it give you the needed music quality if you are not an perfectionist, these are the ones whit a little deeper bass(almost only diffrence from Solo HD) and thats why the mids and hights aint so good as the solos :3

Solo HD:
the HD's are like a mini version of the studios but the quality is ofc more grumsy but in solo vs solo HD the HD ones win whit their quality whit hights and mids, these dosent have the hard bass as the solos that makes the HD have more Lightly sound quality than the grumsy that the bass amkes in the solos, for me the puffs at solos HD is better than the solos but that can just be me :p the fingerprints is nothing to care about if you have the white ones only if you have the black ones.

Solo = hard Bass + ok Quality built + middle great sound quality.
HD's = good Quality built + the looks is awesome + sound quality is 3x better than the solos

Conclution in my opinion is NEVER BUY THE NORMAL SOLO'S many peopke have problem whit them whit their headband breaking ect, so for me the HD's are the winner of the battle

OFC it says itself that the Solo HD are better than Solo, just read their names ;) <3 hope it helped you :3

Patrick Burns

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I used to work at certain blue & yellow colored retailer, and I checked the wholesale price on all the Beats by Dre headphones recently. On almost all the models it's about half of the retail price. General managers rub their hands together when someone walks out the door with a set -- hundreds of $$ in margin. Unless the fashion and brand makes you happy, don't waste your money. You're buying clothing with speakers, not headphones.

In any case, I have a music degree and have done live sound mixing and in-the-box production for years. Even the studios sound average -- downright bad when taking the price into consideration. I'm recommending the following models based on value and sound quality. They may conflict with some people's sense of style, though.

- Sennheiser EH2200 ($50-$75)
- Sony MDR7506 ($100)
- AKG K171 ($160)
- AKG K240 ($100)

Having spent my entire life obsessed with music, I'm pretty sure that our ears connect to the most gullible part of the human brain. Whether it's sound quality, a popular band, or post-modern art music -- people will be happy with anything they're hearing if they're primed with the right social pressure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.