Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I have mid 2010 Mini with Snow Leopard with 2GB of RAM. I will get at least 4GB and will get Mountain Lion also, but with RAM being so cheap, would it be worth it to get 8GB of RAM? All I do is use the Mini as a media server and thats all. My wifes iStuff will sync to it also, but other than that all I do with it is play moves that are on it, stream movies and music, watch Hulu and Netflix, and rip moves with Ripit.

Also this is probably a dumb questions, but I can get Mountain Lion with an iTunes gift card, right?

Thanks!

dantesrevenge

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
Mini RAM upgrade for Media center

I'd go with 8GB. I have moved quite a few clients to 10.8 and the 4GB memory computers have proven to be slower. These computers ranged from a 2007 iMac to an early-2011 Mac mini.

I would think 4GB would be the starting point for Mt. Lion even if you are only working with a media server. The 8GB would most certainly come in handy with your RipIt needs - and I personally can attest to that.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Thanks!!! i don't mind getting the 8GB, I just didn't know if it would be over kill. I found some at Best Buy, they have Crucial and it's cheaper than Crucial's website also. I have to go there anyways, thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.