How much should I expect to resale MBA for? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 3, 2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Macdude2010
macrumors 6502a
 
Macdude2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Apple Store
How much should I expect to resale MBA for?

I have the base model 2013 11 inch Air without AppleCare, I plan on reselling it next year to buy the 2014 Air. I am curious on how much to expect from the resale to budget the difference over the next year I will have to pay when I upgrade to the 2014 model.
__________________
I live life on the chamfered edge.

thinkjacob.com
Macdude2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 07:51 PM   #2
tgi
macrumors 6502a
 
tgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdude2010 View Post
I have the base model 2013 Air without AppleCare, I plan on reselling it next year to buy the 2014 Air. I am curious on how much to expect from the resale to budget the difference over the next year I will have to pay when I upgrade to the 2014 model.
I would say anywhere between 200-300 less then what you paid for it. So about 700-800. It will vary depending on the condition, original box and accessories etc. Also keep in mind that all previous models will drop in price once the new one is released.

It's usually best to sell before the next generation is announced/released to get top dollar.
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdude2010 View Post
I have the base model 2013 11 inch Air without AppleCare, I plan on reselling it next year to buy the 2014 Air. I am curious on how much to expect from the resale to budget the difference over the next year I will have to pay when I upgrade to the 2014 model.
I would say look at recently completed eBay auctions for 2012 11" MBAs to give you a feel for what to expect.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:13 PM   #4
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God
 
glenthompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
If you sell it past the one year warranty without AppleCare you can expect less. A used Mac with a two year warranty sells easier and for more.
__________________
15" MBP (late 2011), iPhone 5
iPad Air, ATV3
glenthompson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:38 PM   #5
Macdude2010
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Macdude2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Apple Store
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthompson View Post
If you sell it past the one year warranty without AppleCare you can expect less. A used Mac with a two year warranty sells easier and for more.
I'm probably going to sell the Air in May 2014, I bought it on the 22nd of June, but I got the $100 card today by them "returning" it and then reselling it, so I most likely will be reselling it in the warranty period, would it be worth buying AppleCare at the EDU price of $183 just for resale?

Also, I might sell my BTS card for around $80, so the machine itself would only cost $869 without tax, would it be worth bumping the price up to $1052 just to resell it later for more?
__________________
I live life on the chamfered edge.

thinkjacob.com
Macdude2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:00 PM   #6
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God
 
glenthompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdude2010 View Post
I'm probably going to sell the Air in May 2014, I bought it on the 22nd of June, but I got the $100 card today by them "returning" it and then reselling it, so I most likely will be reselling it in the warranty period, would it be worth buying AppleCare at the EDU price of $183 just for resale?

Also, I might sell my BTS card for around $80, so the machine itself would only cost $869 without tax, would it be worth bumping the price up to $1052 just to resell it later for more?
Not worth the money as long it still has a few weeks/months left to add AppleCare. I bought mine used but is was less than 4 months old so the lack of AppleCare wasn't an issue.
__________________
15" MBP (late 2011), iPhone 5
iPad Air, ATV3
glenthompson is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting 2011 MBA ready for resale ZBoater MacBook Air 3 Jul 9, 2013 01:36 PM
MBA SSD Info + Resale JCL MacBook Air 5 Sep 12, 2012 11:31 AM
11" MBA poor resale value dmelgar MacBook Air 94 Jul 12, 2012 09:56 PM
Much Worse Resale Value - MBA cherishzm MacBook Air 7 Jun 20, 2012 11:42 PM
How to: Prepare MBA for Resale ZipZap MacBook Air 15 Jun 14, 2012 08:41 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC