Priest Praised For Helping Car Crash Victim - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:36 PM   #26
elistan
macrumors 6502a

When first responders are at the scene, other people should not take action unless specifically asked to or granted permission to by the first responders, regardless of how good their intentions are. If the other person has EMT skills it'd be great for them to volunteer to help, and act if then asked by the first responders, but they should just jump into the middle of the scene and possibly interfere with a crew that doesn't know them. The first responders should also not grant a non-medical person access to the scene, regardless of how good they might be at praying, psychoanalysis, computer programming, accounting or whatever.
elistan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:03 AM   #27
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
So...what is an "extreme" atheist?
As another has said, the "extreme" or at time "radical" refers to the outspokenness of a person, and more to a point, a person that is completely intolerant and bigoted toward anyone that believes otherwise.

It's one thing to not believe in a god, it's another to trash everything and everyone that does regardless of any proof or facts to the contrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
I agree. What kind of god lets people die in the first place? At a young age? Lets innocent women and young children get brutally raped and slaughtered? What kind of god has groups of people killing in his name?
God didn't do **** PEOPLE do those things. I know we'd all love to see a lightening bolt every now and then smite the wicked right? That wouldn't work out too well for most of the folks in the world now would it?

p.s. Every time I post something to the contrary of an atheist, someone brands me as some religious nut job creationist, etc. I am NOT. I am just making discussion.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:22 PM   #28
Raid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff View Post
This is why people don't like atheists; you have to take a dump on a basic feel-good story about a mysterious priest comforting an injured person.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
Hey buddy, I'm an atheist and I take offense at that. We're not all fundamental atheists. Geez!

Okay. Now, to all you extreme atheists out there: Will you please, please, please stop being so bloody extreme. You're giving us all a bad name.
I think we should coin a new term here:
<edit> not new... damn</edit>

Hatheist n. (from the english 'Hater atheist')
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God, gods or supreme being and vehemently ridicules the notions and practices of those who claim to be part of or follow a religious order.

Last edited by Raid; Aug 14, 2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: some punk on Urbandictionary beat me to it.
Raid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 03:27 PM   #29
vega07
macrumors 65816

OP, there's nothing wrong about what this priest did.

I'd have to agree with someone above who said your anger is misplaced.

The victim asked the crew to pray with her. I understand your infection aspect, but anointed oil is used rather sparingly. Hopefully, he didn't use it on open wounds (he should know better).

No one was harmed from this.
vega07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 03:50 PM   #30
iMerik
macrumors 6502

People should care for and comfort people in need. Him being a priest didn't make him more qualified other than making him more allowable (I guess) to get up close to the scene. I think considering yourself a priest probably helps to break down those social barriers that would otherwise make you hesitate to walk up to a stranger and comfort them and people seem more trusting to authority and people in uniforms.
iMerik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:44 PM   #31
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
OP, there's nothing wrong about what this priest did.

I'd have to agree with someone above who said your anger is misplaced.

The victim asked the crew to pray with her. I understand your infection aspect, but anointed oil is used rather sparingly. Hopefully, he didn't use it on open wounds (he should know better).

No one was harmed from this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMerik View Post
People should care for and comfort people in need. Him being a priest didn't make him more qualified other than making him more allowable (I guess) to get up close to the scene. I think considering yourself a priest probably helps to break down those social barriers that would otherwise make you hesitate to walk up to a stranger and comfort them and people seem more trusting to authority and people in uniforms.
I wonder if a follower of Islam went up to the victim and recited some Islamic prayers, and the victim happened to not survive, how the United States would react then.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:59 PM   #32
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
When first responders are at the scene, other people should not take action unless specifically asked to or granted permission to by the first responders, regardless of how good their intentions are.
According to reports I heard he did ask and was granted permission to minister to the victim. There is nothing wrong with what the priest did and in fact I would say that he acted the way Christians should act and that is give aid and comfort to others instead of judging them.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 07:56 AM   #33
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
I wonder if a follower of Islam went up to the victim and recited some Islamic prayers, and the victim happened to not survive, how the United States would react then.
It's like you're trying to make it sound like an Islamic prayer is some sort of curse or evil sorcery.

A blessing is a blessing, regardless of the language or holy book used to administer it. It's the well wishes behind it that matter the most.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 08:17 AM   #34
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
It's like you're trying to make it sound like an Islamic prayer is some sort of curse or evil sorcery.

A blessing is a blessing, regardless of the language or holy book used to administer it. It's the well wishes behind it that matter the most.
His hypothetical asked how Americans would react to such an incident.

It had nothing to do with prayer or its effectiveness.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 08:37 AM   #35
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post

Read his hypothetical again - it had everything to do with prayer. And my comment doesn't address its effectiveness at all.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 08:58 AM   #36
macquariumguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to macquariumguy
Quote:
Atheist Americans, Muslim Americans, or Christian Americans?
macquariumguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 09:09 AM   #37
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Quote:

-----

Quote:
Read his hypothetical again - it had everything to do with prayer. And my comment doesn't address its effectiveness at all.
It's the conservative American attitude that favors Christians over Muslims. Apparently, anyone can go and rub oil over a dying car accident victim. I'm pretty sure if a Muslim person did that, there would be extreme outrage.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 09:28 AM   #38
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
It's the conservative American attitude that favors Christians over Muslims.
Does it? I'm pretty sure it's an American Christian "attitude" (whatever that means) that favors Christianity over Islam. I don't believe conservative Muslims would agree with you.

I have a hard time believing there would be outrage if she asked an Imam passing by to pray with her or anoint her (I have no idea if there is such a custom in Islam, please pardon my ignorance). As I understand the story, she requested this man to pray with her. He did. Why would anybody be outraged at that?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 09:59 AM   #39
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
To many mouth-breathing "Christians", it is.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:21 AM   #40
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
To many mouth-breathing "Christians", it is.
Perhaps. But the same can likely be said of non-Christians, or people whose respiratory habits fall along different lines (not sure why that matters, though).

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues