Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenetic

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
China will have a high concentration of iPhone products. There is no way to avoid the publicity.

When was the last time you see a person with a crack screen and they stop using the iPhone? Not a lot! I have seen people continue using his iPhone when the front and back screen crack. They used tape to temporary fix the screen.

I want to know the result investigation. Who fault was it?

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
This is not restricted to iPhone5

I am pretty sure that ANYTHING exploding will be injurious to your eyes.

If your dog exploded, your eyes would still be at risk.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Well, it's even easier to stop buying McD's coffee, which is what I did after I incurred 2nd degree burns on my mouth on two separate occasions. But I'm very curious exactly how your preecription would work, exactly. For example, do you carry around a thermometer for the purpose of testing coffee before you drink it? Or do you actually use your mouth/ lips to test it, adding the ice AFTER your skin starts peeling? Also, where do you get the ice? You can get it from the McD's soda machine; but then, you first have to make sure you test the coffee before you leave the restaurant-- but of course, if it happened to have been the right temperature in the first place, than you would have made it too cool by lifting the lid before you planned to drink it. Of course, you could drive away, and start to drink it while in the car-- then you could drive back to McD's to get the ice. Not very convenient.
Or, finally, McD's could put notes on the coffee recommending you test it before you leave the premises.

Goodness, drinking coffee safely at McDonald's is really, really complicated; it certainly seems to require a lot of planning! Maybe they should put that in their ads! "Not recommended for people who want a quick, simple, safe cup of coffee."
My god, I'm so glad I don't drink coffee. Didn't realize your lives were so complicated. :rolleyes:

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
although i feel sad for the lady, but this is...funny(because apple is screwed) , apple, you seem to be jealous of chinese people, why do only chinese people get hurt from apple's products, you really need to work on this, apple.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
If (and that's a pretty big if) there was a manufacturing defect that caused this then there is a 100,000,000:1 defect ratio. Figure out how many "9s" that is (.9999999...). Same holds true if it's a design defect. I have a hard time calling a 1 in a hundred million event a defect, and it doesn't make any sense to call it a true defect if it took more than a hundred million events before it happened.

Whatever led to it, it is a freak event and blaming anyone is ridiculous. The odds of this are less than being hit by a train in your 10th story apartment.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
Millionaire2K, you need to read what HiRez already posted! (same page of thread). There already IS a warning about dropping the iPhone. ...Just because people are too lazy to read the manual, doesn't mean they can blame the person who wrote it! ...it states at the gas station not to light up a cigarette while pumping gas....

I think you should read what I wrote. I was replying to his post and I said "Good advise" about how Apple already warns us. BUT I went on and wrote of a possible way they could warn us better... for Apple's and general consumer knowledge sake. that's all. I'm not saying the current warning is to little. Just commenting on how it might be improved.

Kind of how the warnings for SUV rollovers went from the owners manual to the sun visor.

Seems kind of obvious that if you turn a car/truck fast it will rollover. But the feds still require the warning in your face.

If the tech exists to warn you that your phone is no longer safe no that it malfunctioned I see no harm in adding it to the phone. Its just a safety warning. Think of it as a "check engine light"

sclarksons

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
How could someone actually have a 40 minute conversation on an iPhone?

They must not have AT&T in china.

Macneck

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
Why is it always the Chinese? I almost don't care about stories like this anymore.

Well, there are MANY Chinese people in China. On the other hand, I wonder if electrical systems in Chinese houses don't have protection after shortcuts... One thing is the phone to explode, another thing is people being electrocuted to death

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Well, it's even easier to stop buying McD's coffee, which is what I did after I incurred 2nd degree burns on my mouth on two separate occasions.

Logged in just to vote you up. There are so many examples of stupid lawsuits and companies trying to cover their ass, there is really no reason for people to make fools of themselves by dragging out at the best example of a lawsuit that was actually totally justified, ignoring all the facts, and making big claims that personal responsibility doesn't apply to company employees.

Very curious about this statement. It is easy enough to throw ice in coffee to cool it down. It isn't delicious watered down, but it serves the purpose. Point I am trying to get at is whether this is a personal opinion or fact. Do you just assume hotter than average coffee was being served to save money or was it hotter than average because it just was?

"Hotter than average" was shown in the court case.
"Company knew it was dangerous" was shown in the court case.
"Hotter to save money" was shown in the court case.
"So hot that it caused severe burns upon short contact with skin" was shown in the court case.

The last one is really what is unacceptable. Accidents happen all the time, that's unavoidable. It happens that coffee gets spilled, and with a bit of bad luck it gets spilled on people. Unavoidable. If a company makes coffee that is so hot that an unavoidable spill isn't just annoying or maybe painful but causes third degree burns, then they have to take responsibility.

The exact same thing could happen when you bought your coffee, picked up your ice cubes, sat down at a table, remove the lid to throw in the ice cubes, and just at that moment some clumsy customer falls over his own feet, hits your coffee, and it all spills into your lap.

BTW. I don't think they leave space in their mugs to throw in ice cubes without the coffee overflowing.

Last edited:

Macneck

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
How could someone actually have a 40 minute conversation on an iPhone?

They must not have AT&T in china.

In any case, if the phone cannot stand 40 minutes of conversation it should have a sign on its back saying something like: "WARNING! This phone may explode after 40 minutes of continuous use. Talk at your own risk".

Very likely the crack it had before the accident has a lot to do with those injuries, but the question is why it -supposedly- overheated to that point.

4D4M

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2005
Broken Britain
She was probably holding it wrong.

3ss948.jpg

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In any case, if the phone cannot stand 40 minutes of conversation it should have a sign on its back saying something like: "WARNING! This phone may explode after 40 minutes of continuous use. Talk at your own risk".

Very likely the crack it had before the accident has a lot to do with those injuries, but the question is why it -supposedly- overheated to that point.

An undamaged phone has no problems with this. A damaged phone may have problems.

First, there may be internal damage from the earlier drop that cracked the screen which might make the phone produce more heat, so there might be overheating caused by the previous drop.

Second, it might produce some heat in a 40 minute call that is just normal and causes no trouble with an undamaged phone, but might cause problems with a screen that is already cracked. So the phone may not be overheating at all, but the normal heat that the phone is designed for might cause problems with a cracked screen.

And since we don't here of that kind of problem very often, it might be that both problems have to come together to cause actual damage. Quite possible that an undamaged screen has no problems with a bit of overheating, and a cracked screen has no problems with the normal heat, but cracked screen and overheating, both caused by a previous drop, might be the problem.

----------

She used a chinese charger...

So does almost everyone. I suppose some might use a Samsung charger made in South Korea, if that's where they make their chargers, but most chargers are made in China. If you want to claim that she used a low-quality non-Apple charger, there are two questions: How would you know? And what does that have to do with this case?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I think you should read what I wrote. I was replying to his post and I said "Good advise" about how Apple already warns us. BUT I went on and wrote of a possible way they could warn us better... for Apple's and general consumer knowledge sake. that's all. I'm not saying the current warning is to little. Just commenting on how it might be improved.

Kind of how the warnings for SUV rollovers went from the owners manual to the sun visor.

Seems kind of obvious that if you turn a car/truck fast it will rollover. But the feds still require the warning in your face.

If the tech exists to warn you that your phone is no longer safe no that it malfunctioned I see no harm in adding it to the phone. Its just a safety warning. Think of it as a "check engine light"

that warning came from problems with SUVs that were top heavy and had no stabilizer bars to keep them from rolling over...the typical car will not roll over if your turn fast:rolleyes:, and most of today's SUVs have been built properly to prevent rollover in most driving conditions.

people seem to think you should be able to drop your smart phone and it shouldn't be an issue...only if you have an otterbox or something that will protect it! It is a computer that fits in your hand, while they are trying to make them as durable as possible, electronics are still somewhat fragile. ...if you were to drop your laptop from a high point, you wouldn't expect it to not be damaged would you?? ...smart phones are not handled like a piece of fragile computer equipment as laptops are, so it is more likely we will see more reports of things like this, which is more likely due to a person's neglect than anything else.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Consumer safety should be top priority ...

Have you met capitalism yet? It regards consumer safety only as much as it is legally compelled to. And even then, it gets away with as much as it can, including to the point of crime and corruption. When profit is at stake, nothing else matters to a sociopathic entity like a big corporation.

Safety SHOULD matter, but the system allows it not to.

----------

Yes, many people use non-Apple chargers. In my car is a Belkin car charger used every time I drive. Does Apple make one of those? Is Belkin product considered legit?

HoopTrundler

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
According to the woman's own admission, she had dropped the phone before, which had left obvious damage on the screen. That's the first safety rule, don't use an electric device with obvious damage.

What is it with people on these forums victim-blaming so that Apple doesn't have to take responsibility for anything? If your screen got a crack in it, would you really assume that you'd be in danger if you don't get it fixed immediately? I know plenty of people with cracked screens on their phones, and they leave it that way and nothing like this happens.

blipper

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland
I never considered this a serious case and won't discuss it much beyond the obvious,

Coffee was HOT (hotter than "standards" who cares, it's still HOT!)
Driving with said HOT coffee in one hand, steering wheel in another
Putting a cup of HOT coffee between your legs while you drive
Driving with HOT coffee in hand
Bumps in road with HOT coffee

Not true. She was burned immediately after buying the coffee while sitting in the passenger seat in a stationary car. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Corporation#Burn_incident

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.