You know, the news.......I just don't know anymore... - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 29, 2013, 05:41 PM   #26
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

So did anyone ever find out what happened to the squirrel? I mean I am curious.
JackieInCo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2013, 07:00 PM   #27
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieInCo View Post
So did anyone ever find out what happened to the squirrel? I mean I am curious.
Whatever happened the ceramic squirrel ended up a better quality journalist than M. Alex Johnson.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 06:33 PM   #28
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
You'd have to be incredibly naive to believe this. The article is by no means written as a means to reflect on the adequate nature of law enforcement. Especially given what this thread is discussing.
The article is a byproduct of a valuable service. The article itself is crap.

Quote:
...Such an article is completely designed to get page views for advertising dollars. There is zero merit for public need to know the contents of such a domestic dispute. It is entirely for entertainment purposes.
Certainly, but page views (subscriptions, etc.) are how newspapers convince advertisers to write checks large enough to pay for investigations. News has almost always been a business that's about getting people to pay for a package, whether that package is television news sold by cigarette ads or snarky crime articles with Google Adwords.

Quote:
...News journalism is in it's death throes.
Every critic of journalism makes the same argument, that the Edward R. Murrow period was some apogee of journalism, the Eden before the fall. It's an old argument and a bad argument that ignores the pressures of the business (unless you want to nationalize the enterprise and good luck with that one) and the society that each outlet works within.

There are different models of journalism that operate in different genres. Television news is certainly in a paroxysm that it may not survive, but the history of journalism would blow your hair back, outlets were once partisan and opinion-driven and cared little for getting it right.

It's Sturgeon's law without noticing the other half of his equation.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues