Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pezmannen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2010
Hi

Today my Mac mini 2009 late model's hdd crashed. I'm now considering upgrading to 2012 i7, 2,3 GHz model. Does anyone know how the noise level is when comparing the two?

Thanks

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Hi

Today my Mac mini 2009 late model's hdd crashed. I'm now considering upgrading to 2012 i7, 2,3 GHz model. Does anyone know how the noise level is when comparing the two?

Thanks

under a heavy load they both can get noisy. the 2012 quad is a huge cpu leap from the 2009. do you need it? the base model is about twice as fast as the 2009. I ask because you could get a base 2012 and an external ssd for about the same price as the quad

http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-Desktop-Computers/product~dpno~9418664~pdp.iadfcjd this is 588

http://www.macmall.com/p/LaCie-Hard-Drives/product~dpno~9420336~pdp.iadgjgf

this is 199 total is 786. link to macmall from ebates and pay with a paypal credit card you get about 30 off you are at 756

you can buy parallels for 50 and get a 50 dollar rebate from macmall.

if you don't use parallels and windows it will sell on ebay for 35-40 knock your total down to 720. all warranty onl add ram if you think you need it. in fact you could sell the dead 2009 mini on ebay for 200 to 300 knock down your price to 400 AND SOME CHANGE

this would beat up on your current machine.

Last edited:

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Other than hard drive clicking, I've yet to hear a peep from my 2012 quad.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
What model/specs did you buy?

The base i7 quad. Upgraded the RAM to 16GB. I've done some heavy duty audio work on it, and some HD video work. Haven't used Final Cut yet, and I don't use Handbrake, but for what I've done so far, it's just as quiet as my late 2009 Mini.

pezmannen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2010
The base i7 quad. Upgraded the RAM to 16GB. I've done some heavy duty audio work on it, and some HD video work. Haven't used Final Cut yet, and I don't use Handbrake, but for what I've done so far, it's just as quiet as my late 2009 Mini.

Great to hear! And what drive did you choose?

martkt10

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
South London

May i ask, what monitor you use with you mac mini, as i have a 2008 imac, and thinking about getting a new mac mini, as the new imac look good, but im put off you can't upgrade them

Thanks

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Just to add to this, in case this is still interesting to some: My i7 2.6 Ghz Mac Mini becomes extremely noisy under heavy load (rendering in Final Cut Pro X or transcoding in Handbrake). I was a bit shocked at first by the amount of noise that thing can generate, seeing how I hardly ever heard anything from my 2009 Mac Mini.

The Mac Mini is hidden away behind my monitor (with ample room for ventilation, of course), yet I could not listen to music at a "normal" volume while rendering a video in FCP X due to the fan noise. Not a major issue, as rendering/transcoding is usually a "dedicated" task (i.e. I don't expect to do anything else while doing that).

No other tasks have elicited any kind of fan noise though. I have an external WD hard drive and the silent "hiss" of the hard drive's fan is usually the only thing I hear.

Addendum: The fan noise only appears to occur when the CPU usage is pushed up to >700% (implying near-full usage of the 8 virtual cores), i.e. only when the CPU is used very efficiently, which FCP X seems to do during all rendering tasks, while Handbrake sometimes hovers around 400%, depending on the kind of task.

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Just to add to this, in case this is still interesting to some: My i7 2.6 Ghz Mac Mini becomes extremely noisy under heavy load (rendering in Final Cut Pro X or transcoding in Handbrake). I was a bit shocked at first by the amount of noise that thing can generate, seeing how I hardly ever heard anything from my 2009 Mac Mini.

The Mac Mini is hidden away behind my monitor (with ample room for ventilation, of course), yet I could not listen to music at a "normal" volume while rendering a video in FCP X due to the fan noise. Not a major issue, as rendering/transcoding is usually a "dedicated" task (i.e. I don't expect to do anything else while doing that).

No other tasks have elicited any kind of fan noise though. I have an external WD hard drive and the silent "hiss" of the hard drive's fan is usually the only thing I hear.

Addendum: The fan noise only appears to occur when the CPU usage is pushed up to >700% (implying near-full usage of the 8 virtual cores), i.e. only when the CPU is used very efficiently, which FCP X seems to do during all rendering tasks, while Handbrake sometimes hovers around 400%, depending on the kind of task.

yeah 700% cpu will make your 2012 mini max the fans.

BigMa

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
How cool and quiet?

How cool and quiet is Mac mini running while playing Blu-Ray movies, please?:confused:

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I tried to stress my new 2012 mini and see if I could get the fans loud by running BOINC at 100% processor output on all 8 virtual cores for a few hours. The fans only got up to 2300 RPM (base is 1800 RPM) and I couldn't hear it at all. No fan control program installed. I was impressed.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Hi

Thanks

Well, you won't have the optical drive noise at startup, that's for sure. I love the 09 Mini's -- which one did you have?

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I tried to stress my new 2012 mini and see if I could get the fans loud by running BOINC at 100% processor output on all 8 virtual cores for a few hours. The fans only got up to 2300 RPM (base is 1800 RPM) and I couldn't hear it at all. No fan control program installed. I was impressed.
As my experience with my 2.6Ghz i7 Mac Mini is completely different, it seems to imply that the 2.6Ghz model gets significantly hotter.

The only other option is that the fans on my Mac Mini are broken. :eek:

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
How cool and quiet is Mac mini running while playing Blu-Ray movies, please?:confused:
I played a Bluray movie with VLC and the CPU percentage used by VLC stayed around 60% - hardly enough to cause any heat buildup or fan noise.

I tried the 3D anaglyph option in VLC 2.1.0, and while it did not produce a usable result (I guess that option is a work in progress), it pushed the CPU load up to 120% (which one the one hand makes sense, as VLC then has to play two video streams at the same time, but which is on the other hand surprising, as you'd expect some processing load for the creation of the anaglyph image). Still not enough to elicit any fan noise.

The loud Samsung Bluray drive I use is a much bigger issue though. With that noisy drive, this would not be a living room option in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.