Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
My 2010 MBA cannot connect to any external monitor via the mini displayport. I am running Mountain Lion and Windows 7 using rEFIT. I've tried 3 seperate adapters, DVI, VGA, and a dual DVI/HDMI adapter. None of them are official Apple ones for what it's worth. I don't frequently use this but the last time I tried was over 2 years ago and it worked great. The only difference at the time being I was running Snow Leopard.

Neither of the systems detect any external monitor. I am absolutely sure my tv/monitor is tuned to the correct input as well. It is simply as if there's nothing attached. I cannot change anything in the options to configure an external monitor because it's as if its not there. This happens in both OSX and Windows.

My last ditch effort is to try reinstalling everything from scratch and forgo rEGIT (is it possible that's the problem?). The nearest Apple store is 3 hours away and out of warranty so I want to discount all other possibilities before going there.

I've tried an SMC and PRAM reset.

Last edited:

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Wait, have you tried using a different computer with the monitor?

Have you considered that it might be the cable between the monitor and computer?

I can't say more based on your rather vague setup descriptions.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Wait, have you tried using a different computer with the monitor?

Have you considered that it might be the cable between the monitor and computer?

I can't say more based on your rather vague setup descriptions.

I've tried both on a monitor and a tv and it doesn't work on either whereas other devices do. It's not the display. It's also not the cable, as I mentioned in my 'vague' description, I tried 3 separate interfaces.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I've tried both on a monitor and a tv and it doesn't work on either whereas other devices do. It's not the display. It's also not the cable, as I mentioned in my 'vague' description, I tried 3 separate interfaces.

I said it was vague because it was unclear whether you used the same cable from the displayport to the monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.