Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Use the RAM identification tool at Crucial's website and purchase a pair of 8GB RAM modules rather than at Amazon. You will be doing yourself a favor in ensuring guaranteed compatibility while also saving a few dollars with free shipping, opposed to the $5 shipping fee from the listed product.

kidwei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
May've answered my own question. This RAM is compatible, according to this chart on Crucial's support page:

http://www.crucial.com/support/memory/mac.aspx

----------

Use the RAM identification tool at Crucial's website and purchase a pair of 8GB RAM modules rather than at Amazon. You will be doing yourself a favor in ensuring guaranteed compatibility while also saving a few dollars with free shipping, opposed to the $5 shipping fee from the listed product.

Thanks but I think this ram should be good to go. I got it when it was still available on Amazon Prime for $75.. so saved a few bucks and got it quickly while I was at it.

TheAnnihilator

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Emerald Isle
May've answered my own question. This RAM is compatible, according to this chart on Crucial's support page:

http://www.crucial.com/support/memory/mac.aspx

----------

Thanks but I think this ram should be good to go. I got it when it was still available on Amazon Prime for $75.. so saved a few bucks and got it quickly while I was at it.

I have ordered the same can you please post if the ram has caused any problems.

kidwei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I have ordered the same can you please post if the ram has caused any problems.

Got my iMac and installed the RAM last night and haven't run into any issues yet. Spent a fair amount of time doing various things, including testing out a few games and not a hitch. Should be good to go with this RAM.

TheScorpion

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Cannot use this to get to 24gb

This memory does not work alongside the delivered 2x4gb hynix. I was hoping to get to 24gb but it would not boot (three beeps on the black screen). It only works when by itself. I did not test two pair (4x8gb).

kidwei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
This memory does not work alongside the delivered 2x4gb hynix. I was hoping to get to 24gb but it would not boot (three beeps on the black screen). It only works when by itself. I did not test two pair (4x8gb).

Strangely, this memory worked fine for me alongsize the 2x4gb hynix. I got a replacement iMac with a different brand (can't remember.. started with "El"), and I got the 3 beeps issue. So I guess it's YMMV when it comes to pairing with the included RAM.

jasimon9

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Crucial Part # CT3650278 - Amazon Part # CT2C8G3S160BM

The Crucial site lists the price at $115.99 for Crucial Part # CT3650278 (but you can get a coupon for a $5 discount). Amazon shows what seems to be the same spec and what some people in this thread have gotten to work as part #CT2C8G3S160BM at $89.68.

Is this the same product but with different part numbers only due to the sales channel?

Any others with experience with the Amazon memory?

TheAmericanStig

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
I'm looking at the same memory from amazon also. Any other options of ram that increase performance or is this ram as good as the iMac can support?

DanK104

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
Same RAM

I called Crucial customer service. She said that when she looked up part number CT3650282 (the part that Crucial's tool will give you for the 27" iMac), it showed that as being part number CT2C8G3S160BM (the one listed at Amazon). Crucial does use multiple part numbers for identical parts, depending on which computer you are looking up.

jasimon9

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
I called Crucial customer service. She said that when she looked up part number CT3650282 (the part that Crucial's tool will give you for the 27" iMac), it showed that as being part number CT2C8G3S160BM (the one listed at Amazon). Crucial does use multiple part numbers for identical parts, depending on which computer you are looking up.

Thanks for this follow through. Great detective work!

By the time I made up my mind to buy from Amazon, the $89 price had gone away, and the price seems to float now between $105 and $115, same as the price from Crucial.

Oh, well.

On the other hand, while I have not yet loaded up my mission critical softwares, I have hardly seen a page out with just the default 8MB. So while I still want to add more, I am not hurting yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.