Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
The reason I ask is even though we have iPads, iPhones and iMacs they are not very often the latest version since apple do a refresh every 6 - 12 months. With that said, could apple overhaul Siri to the point where it would only work well on there latest hardware at that time, and not on earlier generations that had full support for Siri, because let's not forget Siri is still in beta.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
The reason I ask is even though we have iPads, iPhones and iMacs they are not very often the latest version since apple do a refresh every 6 - 12 months. With that said, could apple overhaul Siri to the point where it would only work well on there latest hardware at that time, and not on earlier generations that had full support for Siri, because let's not forget Siri is still in beta.

It's kind of both since all software has minimum hardware requirements.

Similar to the camera app being able to take still shots while filming but only so on the iPhone 5, I can see Siri evolving in ways that are only supported on some newer devices while retaining what it does now on current devices.

I don't think it would ever get to a point where an iPhone 4S, for example, "loses" Siri simply because Siri's "outgrown" it.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It's both.

Siri is a combination of software, and a set of microphones (main + noise cancelling).

On the server side, I'm guessing there's also a bunch of audio-processing hardware and software too.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
All the current compatable devices feature an extra chip for sound processing as well as 2 microphones. That's the hardware side. Everything else is software.

But technically Siri dosnt live on a chip on your phone it lives on a server so you decide.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
like everyone else said, both. That is the reason the 4 was excluded even though it runs the same version of IOS.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
like everyone else said, both. That is the reason the 4 was excluded even though it runs the same version of IOS.

Unless you Jailbreak the iPhone 4 and then it works fine.

The reality is that *nothing* is impossible in software.

There's not a single part of iOS or App that could not work on older devices, a Mac, PC or an Android phone.

There ARE some things that the iPhone 4S/5 and the newer iPads have that the older devices don't, but that wouldn't actually stop Siri working on them in some capacity.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
For the purpose of this particular query, IT'S SOFTWARE.

Because the iPhone does no processing, all the processing is done remotely by Apple's big irons. THEIR hardware, not YOUR hardware.

My guess.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I don't know if I should cry or bang my head against a wall until I bleed.

Siri is pure software. No its not hardware its software. Its software in its purest definition. It had lines of codes etc

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I don't know if I should cry or bang my head against a wall until I bleed.

Neither since both are superfluous reactions to an Internet forum thread.

Siri is pure software. No its not hardware its software. Its software in its purest definition. It had lines of codes etc

Right, but Siri can't run on my TV remote or my coffee maker or my little hand-me-down desktop speakers that I never use at work.

Based on the content of the initial post, as opposed to just the thread title, it seems appropriate to mention hardware alongside software:

...could apple overhaul Siri to the point where it would only work well on there latest hardware at that time, and not on earlier generations that had full support for Siri...

If, for example, this "overhaul" included a holographic Siri, a la Leia, it would almost certainly not be possible for an iPhone 4S or 5 to project it whereas it could be possible for a future iPhone with appropriate hardware to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.