Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:47 PM   #51
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604
 
thejadedmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pa
Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I agree with pretty much everything he says. Apple needs to start controlling their narrative better and I don't know if Cook is the guy to do it. ....
Apple's perception issue started before Cook took over. Apple stopped controlling their narrative when they became a huge corporation, and people started looking at them more critically.

They're still a good company, but they went from a company that looked "perfect" to a company that looked "imperfect". It doesn't matter if it's 10% perfection or 99% perfection, it's not perfect. And everyone is starting to see that now.

Apple isn't any different, they're simply no longer "perfect". But yes, Apple needs to fix this problem of theirs before it eats away any more at their stock prices.
__________________
MacBook • 17" MacBook Pro • iPod Nano • Apple TV
PS4 • Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop • WP8.1
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:09 AM   #52
Bernard SG
macrumors 65816
 
Bernard SG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Should we look at the revenues of each of the other products relative to total revenue?

**edit**

I attached it, over half of apple's revenue comes from a fashion accessory, and like all fashion is not lasting and is at the whim of groupthink.
iPhone as a "fashion accessory" is an interesting notion... The "fashion" is now entering its 6th year and sales are still growing tremendously. Maybe that is "fashion" in your world but I beg to differ.

In your nice graph, you will notice that red slice of the pie representing 1/4 or 1/5 of the total, the iPad. I would just like to remind that 3 years ago, that product didn't exist (and the "tablet" category was infinitesimal). That category is now growing like crazy too and 5 to 6 device sold are iPads.

Finally, after tomorrow, Apple will release it's Q4' 2012 numbers and I predict the general discourse about Apple's demise will be quite different from today's.
__________________
21" 2008 iMac, 13" MBP, 32Gb iPod Touch 4, 2002 eMac, iPod Touch 2 8GB, iPod Nano 1st gen, iPad 3 white 32 GB 3G, iPhone 5 16 GB. Uhmm... Fanboi!
Bernard SG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:27 AM   #53
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard SG View Post
iPhone as a "fashion accessory" is an interesting notion... The "fashion" is now entering its 6th year and sales are still growing tremendously. Maybe that is "fashion" in your world but I beg to differ.

In your nice graph, you will notice that red slice of the pie representing 1/4 or 1/5 of the total, the iPad. I would just like to remind that 3 years ago, that product didn't exist (and the "tablet" category was infinitesimal). That category is now growing like crazy too and 5 to 6 device sold are iPads.

Finally, after tomorrow, Apple will release it's Q4' 2012 numbers and I predict the general discourse about Apple's demise will be quite different from today's.
Who is talking about Apples demise?

That's cool and that's what makes us human and different.

And the tablet market will reach saturation also, which mean that revenue stream will drop.

I shall restate Apple needs to work on generating more revenue that is not based in HW sales, now while they are fat and can actually R&D without immediate expected gains.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:29 AM   #54
Rogifan
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
That's a start. Plus a better OS.
Widgets are subjective. Not everyone who owns an iPhone wants widgets. And not everyone thinks iOS is a bad OS. Anyway, if Apple allows for widgets in iOS 7, it's not going to be called innovative, it will be .called ripping off Android.
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:32 PM   #55
golf1410
macrumors 6502a
 
golf1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
There's that "innovation" word again. what exactly is all this innovation everyone else is doing that Apple isn't? 5" screens? Widgets?

----------


I don't look at arbitrary time frames. Plus I think AAPL is the most manipulated stock on the market. Someone stood to make a ton of $$ if they got the stock price around $500 and lo and behold it closed on Friday at exactly $500.
Google Glass maybe? Table touchscreen from Microsoft ?
golf1410 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:44 PM   #56
Rogifan
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
More FUD. Apparently someone at Fortune thinks Apple needs to license iOS to other handset makers to bring more customers into iTunes, and copy the Apple of the 90s with a bazillion different phone models. I guess this clown doesn't realize that Apple's model is to make most of its money off hardware, not content. How does licensing iOS to other hardware makers make good business sense for Apple?

I really hope Cook addresses some of this nonsense on their investor call tomorrow.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/01/...ing-the-1980s/
Quote:
There are a number of things Apple could do today to ensure it doesn't relive its 1980s meltdown. It could for one open up its iOS so that other manufacturers could integrate it with their phone. This will bring a new line of customers into the iTunes orbit. It could also create a larger line of phones to fit a multitude of price points. After all, the iPhone is simply a delivery device for content—the more people you have on your network, the larger your revenue. If Apple continues on its current path, it could lose—a lot.
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:15 PM   #57
vrDrew
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
More FUD. Apparently someone at Fortune thinks Apple needs to license iOS to other handset makers to bring more customers into iTunes
Legally and, more importantly, commercially Apple doesn't need to do anything different. Certainly - as you allude to - not in relation to licensing iOS.

But more importantly, Apple doesn't need to do anything different to squelch the blizzard of silly rumors surrounding its upcoming products, sales, future releases, etc. For a host of legal reasons it can't. And from a practical standpoint, rebutting rumors is like battling the hydra: for every bogus story you refute, two or three new ones will crop up in its place.

I'm sorry to say this, but sites like MacRumors are becoming increasingly less valuable to me, as both an investor and a consumer. In simple terms the "signal to noise" ratio has dropped to unacceptable levels. Its increasingly hard to sift out the valuable insights from the spam, idiocy, and self-involved blathering.

There is little doubt that Tim Cook isn't Steve Jobs, at least as far as the "reality distortion field" is concerned. But thats not really so bad, is it? Apple makes its most important statements when it ships fantastic new products, and when it publishes its financial results. Chumps who buy and sell Apple shares based on froth generated by who know who on internet sites have only themselves to blame when they get burned.
vrDrew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:39 PM   #58
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Widgets are subjective. Not everyone who owns an iPhone wants widgets.
That's the beauty of features. If you don't use it, well, don't use it. But if its there, it's not hurting you. Like backgrounds, if you like having a flat color, doesn't mean some of us don't want an image instead. Like the notifications, you can turn them off by app, well maybe I want Gmail notifications and you don't.

Options, aren't they grand ?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Already discussed in this thread :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1527686

Feel free to take your comments on that article there.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:40 PM   #59
Rogifan
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
That's the beauty of features. If you don't use it, well, don't use it. But if its there, it's not hurting you. Like backgrounds, if you like having a flat color, doesn't mean some of us don't want an image instead. Like the notifications, you can turn them off by app, well maybe I want Gmail notifications and you don't.

Options, aren't they grand ?
I guarantee you if iOS 7 has widgets the first thing people will scream is Apple is ripping off Android, NOT finally Apple is innovating. Same thing if they come out with a larger phone. That's why I scratch my head when people complain about lack of innovation but their answer to it is for Apple to copy Google and their OEM's.
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:54 PM   #60
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I guarantee you if iOS 7 has widgets the first thing people will scream is Apple is ripping off Android, NOT finally Apple is innovating. Same thing if they come out with a larger phone. That's why I scratch my head when people complain about lack of innovation but their answer to it is for Apple to copy Google and their OEM's.
Companies always try to out do each other. Apple just isn't doing that. The more the iPhone stays the same and Android improves the gap is widening. People want innovation, they don't want stale.
__________________
The thoughts in my head are rated TV-MA. Viewer discretion is advised.
Now batting, Number 2 Derek Jeter, Number 2
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:36 AM   #61
Rogifan
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Companies always try to out do each other. Apple just isn't doing that. The more the iPhone stays the same and Android improves the gap is widening. People want innovation, they don't want stale.
How is copying Android innovation?
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:40 AM   #62
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Xanadu
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Companies always try to out do each other. Apple just isn't doing that. The more the iPhone stays the same and Android improves the gap is widening. People want innovation, they don't want stale.
Correction: A handful of enthusiasts want innovation. The target market, the average consumer, doesn't care. They want it to work and they don't want to have to relearn how to use their mobile devices (or even computers for that matter).

The problem that many people fail to recognize, is that enthusiasts make up a very small piece of the market share for Apple mobile devices.
__________________
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
SpyderBite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:08 AM   #63
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I guarantee you if iOS 7 has widgets the first thing people will scream is Apple is ripping off Android, NOT finally Apple is innovating. Same thing if they come out with a larger phone. That's why I scratch my head when people complain about lack of innovation but their answer to it is for Apple to copy Google and their OEM's.
Well, no duh they would be "ripping off" Android and Android OEMs... I put that in quotes because frankly the whole "they stoles from us the preeeeecious!" bit that people have gotten into is inane, on both sides.

Apple is not the only source of good ideas and frankly, as an iOS user, if there's some good stuff in Android, I'd like to see it make its way in iOS, and the opposite is true for Android users too.

All this "theyz copies from us!" crap has got to stop, and that applies to everyone. Take the best ideas from multiple source, come up with some good ones yourself and ship a damn product, who cares that it is innovative or not.

And you really seem hung up on the whole "innovative" thing, let it go man. Innovations aren't something that are going to pop up everyday. Few and far between.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:06 AM   #64
Rogifan
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Well, no duh they would be "ripping off" Android and Android OEMs... I put that in quotes because frankly the whole "they stoles from us the preeeeecious!" bit that people have gotten into is inane, on both sides.

Apple is not the only source of good ideas and frankly, as an iOS user, if there's some good stuff in Android, I'd like to see it make its way in iOS, and the opposite is true for Android users too.

All this "theyz copies from us!" crap has got to stop, and that applies to everyone. Take the best ideas from multiple source, come up with some good ones yourself and ship a damn product, who cares that it is innovative or not.

And you really seem hung up on the whole "innovative" thing, let it go man. Innovations aren't something that are going to pop up everyday. Few and far between.
Haha, I'm hung up on the "innovate" thing? I'm not the one starting threads asking how Apple is innovative or whining about Apple not being innovative anymore. If anything I'm annoyed with people expecting revolutionary things from Apple every day of the week.

Also where have I ever said Apple is the only source of good ideas? I'm just amused by those who complain that Apple doesn't innovate but then when asked what they want Apple to do it's basically to copy Google (make iOS like Android), Samsung, HTC etc. (large screen phones) or Microsoft (touch screen Macs). I'm not arguing whether those are good or bad things, I just don't see what makes them innovative.
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:06 AM   #65
Rogifan
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Still agree with the first post. Where is Apple PR? What exactly does Phil Schiller do? The Verge (in cooperation with Google) just did a long, favorable feature piece on Google and software design. Microsoft did similar things last year with the Surface. Would it kill Apple to maybe start being a bit more open? And by open I don't mean disclosing their product roadmap but some sort of partnership with a favorable media outlet that could help change the narrative. How about an Apple feature on where Federighi and Ive want to take iOS? Or some of the stuff Mansfield's team is working on. In that Bloomberg interview Cook said these guys are the best of the best. So put them in the spotlight more. Why continue to let the media push this meme that everyone else is doing cool stuff and Apple is just boring, unimaginative and devoid of innovation.
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:25 AM   #66
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Still agree with the first post. Where is Apple PR? What exactly does Phil Schiller do?
They're doing exactly what they need to be doing : Not feeding the trolls.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:14 AM   #67
Rogifan
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
They're doing exactly what they need to be doing : Not feeding the trolls.
They don't need to feed the trolls but it would be nice once in a while to get a feature or in depth story like the Verge got with Google and their software design. I don't think brand curation has been great this year. Mediocre ads, the iPad mini pitch seemed a bit off - way too much focus on comparing to the 7" tablets, IMO. I just think the brand could use a little attention.
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:45 PM   #68
Badagri
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderBite View Post
Correction: A handful of enthusiasts want innovation. The target market, the average consumer, doesn't care. They want it to work and they don't want to have to relearn how to use their mobile devices (or even computers for that matter).

The problem that many people fail to recognize, is that enthusiasts make up a very small piece of the market share for Apple mobile devices.
Reading this just shows how learning and doing things is such a terrible lazy effort for so many people.

It wasn't that long ago I was reading nerds/techies freak out at Windows 8 because there's no start button. Yet elderly people have no issue with it once guided. Which is like a few minutes.

Stale or change... which is it....
Badagri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:54 PM   #69
robanga
macrumors 68000
 
robanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oregon
Wow the sky is truly falling isn't it

The knee jerk reactions of bloggers wanting clicks and others astounds me. Its like the sky is falling. They had RECORD sales last quarter. They own the tablet market and make something like 66% to 75% of all PROFIT in the cellular phone market. They have something like $120B in cash around the world. They have a retail presence and sales per square foot that is the envy of the entire retailverse

Their stock is down to $400+ a share? oh no?... now Exxon is bigger? oh the horror. They are in a position that thousands of companies would sell their collective family members to be in.

Companies go up and they go down. Microsoft and IBM are still humming along with far less focus on them.
__________________
Soli Deo gloria
robanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrier: Apple/sprint is killing me. DEACONM iPhone 10 Oct 16, 2013 07:12 PM
Apple adaptor killing iPhone? sahni130 iPhone 4 Apr 28, 2013 09:38 AM
Is Apple killing the Mac Pro and more? champ01 Mac Pro 35 Dec 18, 2012 10:18 PM
Apple NEEDS an iPhone with bigger screen size to silence critics. Radiating iPhone 58 Oct 29, 2012 09:23 AM
Does the silence switch silence everything on your iphone (5)? -Reaper- iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 4 Oct 7, 2012 04:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC