Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muselle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
I dropped my ipod into the toilet and got it out within about 2 seconds... dried it with a towel, and turned it on. Noticed it was acting weird, and got it in rice. I left it there for the day, and it seemed to work normally except the volume would turn up out of nowhere and the power button wouldn't turn it off... I put it back in the rice for another 24 hours. Then, I used it... worked perfectly. Power button, everything. I plugged it in to charge overnight as usual... in the morning, nothing. It won't turn on anymore... did I ruin it by charging it? The screen shows no water at all... is it just the battery? What now?

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Once an electronic is water damaged, there is pretty much nothing that can be done. Even if it seems dry, the remnants left behind by the water are corrosive and will cause the internals to deteriorate over time.

In your case, it sounds like charging it may have caused a short. Generally, when an electronic is water damaged, you leave it in rice for a week or so to make sure the water is completely GONE! Turning it on with water inside can also cause a short so it's hard to say what happened that it's no longer working.

Your best bet would be to get a replacement.

grace4star

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
Once a electronic device is in water, its funeral time. It's gone.

But it could be that you turned it on when it was still wet, even if you just tested it, just no. And 24 hours or even 48 isn't good enough for putting it in rice. Maximum leave it in there for a WEEK. It also could be about charging it, but if its gonna have that problem, then its half-broken anyway, so what's the point? Claim it on insurance or take it to Apple.

Source:
Dad did it with his iPhone

muselle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Okay... dead ipod... next step - sale? recycle? ??? data?

Thanks everyone for the replies...

If it's toast, and I can't do anything to get the data off of it...

Can I sell it on ebay advertising what happened to it? I saw that one went for about 50 that was broken... Or, is there still a possibility that a savvy person could get the info from it and use it against me?

How do I dispose of this... ??? Up for any tips about the safety of the data thing with a sale if anyone wants a dead ipod... or eco-advice on where to responsibly dispose of it ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.